Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NOVA (Northern Virginia) wannabe owner

Here to gain knowledge about my new dream car! I bought my son an '02 330Ci 5MT for a high school graduation present (well, that and earning Eagle Scout and getting and academic scholarship)--I'm still wondering what I was thinking... Anyway, I have been a rice-burner fan for years (own 2 Hondas and an Acura). I really like the E46 and how easy it is to work on. We have changed the tranny and diff. fluid, plugs, and fuel filter (car had 120k on it with very little maintenance history).

I'd really like to find an '05-'06 ZHP coupe in gray. Does anyone know why so many of the ones I see for sale have ATs? I'd think most coupe owners would want the 6MT.

Welcome to the Mafia. You trying to bump me from coolest Dad on the planet spot? Lol.

Anyway......be sure to check out the ZHP's we list over at our registry at www.zhpregistry.net

Be patient. Manuals are plenty. One will turn up.

Good job on maintenance on the 5spd. Coolant overhaul, pulleys, brakes and suspension should come next, in addition to VANOS.

Www.beisansystems.com

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks Danewilson77. Yeah, from what I've been reading, the coolant overhaul was next on the list. He can't take the car to college the first year, so I'll be forced to keep in charged, etc by driving it periodically! I think we'll shoot for the coolant overhaul and perhaps other maintenance when he comes home for Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Thanks Danewilson77. Yeah, from what I've been reading, the coolant overhaul was next on the list. He can't take the car to college the first year, so I'll be forced to keep in charged, etc by driving it periodically! I think we'll shoot for the coolant overhaul and perhaps other maintenance when he comes home for Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks.
    Sounds like a solid plan....including the part abou driving it. These cars typically don't do well when they sit around.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks. Hope you have a great event this w/e. Sound like fun. I may try to take him up to the E46 BimmerFest East in Aug before he leaves for school.

Any thoughts on the AT Vs. Steptronic? Which do you prefer>

Welcome! We have a lot of Virginia Members..
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Welcome. Nice buy for your son! Good luck with the search. Not sure what your choices will be but most people tend to find theirs if they are extremely patient and have a wide search area. Hope you get it!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Thanks. Hope you have a great event this w/e. Sound like fun. I may try to take him up to the E46 BimmerFest East in Aug before he leaves for school.

Any thoughts on the AT Vs. Steptronic? Which do you prefer>
    In the ZHP, the automatic and steptronic are interchangeable words.

It's all about preference. Some of us have commutes, in highly populated areas of the country, that make the Steptronic (automatic) desirable. Others prefer the 6MT regardless of the situation.

Therefore, you just have to get what makes sense to you. We don't get into the automatic v. 6MT debate around here too much. We know that it all comes down to preferences and circumstances. Our sites were featured in the June 2011 issue of Roundel magazine. This is what the columnist said about our members at ZHPMafia.com: "You will not be spoken down to if your car is an automatic. Imagine that!"

The columnist is correct. That's why I can only tell you that the ZHP is great is both formats. Get the car that is right for you.

Welcome to the site! Glad you joined.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    In the ZHP, the automatic and steptronic are interchangeable words.

It's all about preference. Some of us have commutes, in highly populated areas of the country, that make the Steptronic (automatic) desirable. Others prefer the 6MT regardless of the situation.

Therefore, you just have to get what makes sense to you. We don't get into the automatic v. 6MT debate around here too much. We know that it all comes down to preferences and circumstances. Our sites were featured in the June 2011 issue of Roundel magazine. This is what the columnist said about our members at ZHPMafia.com: "You will not be spoken down to if your car is an automatic. Imagine that!"

The columnist is correct. That's why I can only tell you that the ZHP is great is both formats. Get the car that is right for you.

Welcome to the site! Glad you joined.
    Great point by the author, and good points Marcus. My car is the lowest of all ZHP life forms, it's a STEP, a VERT, and chrome wheels. lol No one's ever said a thing in this forum. There are some forums where the disdain for chrome wheels is laughable. You know I always say to each his own. As KG alludes to in his video, "I just like the perfect synergy...."
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Thanks for the comments on the AT vs. MT, and I understand about preferences and ugly commutes. I live in VA and trek into DC 4-5 times per week ~ 45 miles up I-95. Thankfully I don't have to drive due to a phenomenon around here call slugging (www.slug-lines.com) which is like organized hitch-hiking. When I was making the trip down I-270 from Frederick, MD to DC, I did get rid of one of my '97 Accord MT for the '04 Accord AT I presently drive so my left leg could get a rest!
    Glad everyone here seems to get along and is helpful/cordial. I'm on several other forums where the know-it-alls can't let noob mistakes, etc go and flame on them and other folks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast