Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need some input on suspension replacement

My tires are bottoming out in the front wheel wells when I hit bumps at speed and I think it's because my suspension is shot. I'm running 225/35r20 on 20x8.5 wheels with 35mm offset. From what I have read, I should not be bottoming out with these so I assume it's because by struts are worn.

So from what I have read, I'll want to not only replace the shocks and struts but also want to replace some bushings. What bushings do I need?

Which brand/type of shocks and struts do you recommend? I don't see myself lowering any time soon since my wheels barely fit as it is (although I may downsize someday?). I'll probably want a heavy duty shock since my wheels are fairly heavy.
    2004 Alpinweiss 330Ci ZHP 6MT

How many miles do you have on your car? Honestly if it is over 50-60K then I would replace a good number of "stock" components

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...08&hg=31&fg=10

Definitely replace item 1 below if you get new struts.

On the rears, I would get Rogue Rear Strut Mounts (RSM). These are by far the strongest and best RSM's on the market. PERIOD.
    http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/RSM.html

If you haven't done so yet, i would recommend you replace your Front Control Arm Bushings (FCAB) as well. Treehouse racing, Powerflex, UUC or even OEM are all good choices. This will fix your fronts from moving "front to back" in the wheel well, when braking and accelerating.

Feel free to post up any other questions. I have done more suspension stuff than I care to admit

I really have no idea what I am doing

I was bottoming out the rear on my e30 - it ended up being the rear shock mounts.

Those were/are a wear point that is always good to check.

And +1 on how many miles do you have on the car?

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Ok, so I need those guides for the front, front control arms bushings (how many total for both sides? are they all the same p/n?), and then of course shocks/struts.

What is the advantage of the Rogue unit over OEM?

FCAB's are sold in a pair. Go for treehouse racing if you can/are available. And use White Lithium Grease on any and all poly bushings. The FCAB's should come with the lollipops, if not you will need to get them pressed in at a shop. The lollipops are the metal bracket that the bushings go into (number 6 below)

RTAB's are sold in a pair. Rogue RTAB's are poly vs the OEM which are rubber. That and there is no way that you will donut your Rogue's where it's definitely possible to do that to the OEM. I can speak from experience on that one.

I really have no idea what I am doing

Ok, one pair of FCAB's, two guide supports, one set of Rogue rear strut mounts, and four shocks/struts. Right?

Does Bilstein HD sound good for shocks/struts? Or should I go with sport? Do the sport struts work with stock and lowering springs?

Just get meyle hd cabs, new fsm's, new rsm's, and new suspension setup.

You may even need control arms...if your suspension is that worn out.

I would look into the zhp suspension kit.

Done.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

You can't replace the ball joints in the control arms? I haven't checked the two ball joints for wear yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cparker View Post
    You can't replace the ball joints in the control arms? I haven't checked the two ball joints for wear yet.
    Not with the stock control arms. Some aftermarket arms such as the Meyles have removable ball joints.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by cparker View Post
    The kit is $499.00 and. Has the shocks/springs/control arms/front sway bar and bushings. Then all you need to pick up are cabs, fsm, rsm.

Done.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast