Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Steering wheel clank

Hey guys, i wanted to know if this noise is normal or if something's loose. When i put my hands at 9 and 3, and twist one direction or the other it makes a noise. Is the steering wheel loose or is this knock normal? Also what the hell could be loose over there? It almost seems like the steering wheel moves an nth of an inch when i do this.

I have the same issue with mine, and every single component of the front steering/suspension is brand new, including the steering coupler. I'm starting to suspect it may be the steering rack.

I was gonna say steering guibo. Your noise is not normal. Mark status of your suspension components.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I don't think it would be something that deep, it sounds like its pretty close to the interior of the car, some bolt loose or something. any1 else have this issue?

Suspension components are all original. This will occur whether i'm sitting in idle or driving making a turn and putting a little pressure on the steering wheel from the 9 or 3 o'clock position.

I noticed something different today. I noticed that the actual steering wheel moves to the left and right, but the central airbag and horn stay put. Is there any ring or something that could be loose causing this??

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    I noticed something different today. I noticed that the actual steering wheel moves to the left and right, but the central airbag and horn stay put. Is there any ring or something that could be loose causing this??
    Oh shit. That's odd.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

That... Should not be possible. There is a clock spring in there that you definitely do not want to disturb. Does the airbag actually not move at all or does it just rattle around independently of the wheel?

no, when i push left and right physically from the 9 and 3 o'clock positions, the steering wheel itself moves, but where it seperates from the airbag i can see the airbag is not moving with the wheel.

It sounds like possibly one or more of the three screws that hold the airbag mounting plate could be loose. You will have to pull the airbag and see what's going on back there.

You can see the screws here. The two safety pin looking springs are what hold the airbag in place. Possible one of those broke? I suppose there could be a chance the bolt holding the wheel on is loose but those splines are pretty fine so even if it was loose I doubt it would allow the wheel to have left to right play in it.

The 3 allen (or torx, can't recall) should all be snug tight.

Here is a DIY for airbag removal. Don't forget to unhook the battery first. It really pretty easy to remove though. You just need to get the feel for where the 2 spring releases are for the airbag.

http://cobywheel.com/diy%20files/bmw...el_removal.pdf

Another.....

http://www.my330i.com/mod23.php#D

Good luck.....Barry

4th of july project i guess. That and oil change from the top.