Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

YO! from Fair Oaks, CA

Hi! Been an owner of a 2003 330i ZHP Jet Black 6 SP since later October of 2006. It has been quite an adventure with a great BMW dealer (Niello) in Sacramento. I bought the not-too-pristine vehicle with 34,000 miles on it at a reasonable price with warranty and maintenance still remaining. Good thing as the Service Engine light was on. Took a chance and bit.

Took the car into Niello and did not see it for a month! Under PUMA supervision, the cams, lifters, and other related gear were replaced. So was the vanos mechanism, coils, injectors and the DME, the fuel filter and pump. The radio and the sunroof were also replaced. PUMA was billed about $7,500 for the parts and labor! This is about 25% below what I would have had to pay ($10,000) if I did not have any coverage.

I got copies of the billing invoices to PUMA (BMW) because a friend of mine, who owns three BMWs advised me to get them.

Another month went by and in January 2007, the dreaded dash light came back on! This time it was the DISA valve and the mass airflow sensor, which were replaced under warranty for about $1,200 to BMW.

In March of 2007, the light came back on again and a valve job was approved by PUMA as the inspection revealed that all exhaust valve guides were worn and out of spec. Also the front lowere control arm bushings were worn and replaced under warranty. The bill to BMW was over $4,000!

Note that the vehicle's BMW maintenance history was that it was serviced by the book! The CARFAX showed no accidents nor previous mechanical/body repairs. (Which may not be true, but it was maintained according to BMW requirements.)

In June the light went on again and it was the rear O2 sensor went bad due to the bad cat and the cat was also replaced for the tune of nearly $2,000 billed to BMW.

The vehicle now developed a thirst for oil, about a quart per 700 miles and it was agreed to have an excessive oil consumption test. The test showed that 6 qts. of oil was consumed in 4000 miles.

An engine teardown was ordered and I was warned if there was any evidence of a "money shift," the fix was on my credit card. The inspection revealed that there were failure in no. 5 and 6 cylinder piston rings. A cost analysis was made and it was decided the replace the engine. I had the clutch and flywheel assembly replaced as no labor was going to be charged due to the engine replacement. Outside of the clutch ansd flywheel, BMW was billed for about $10,000 for warranty work!

Car runs fine now at 87,000 miles. Has been driven to Oregon, Washington and Idaho as well as points in Southern California. Approaching 90,000 miles and planning for shock spring replacement, fluids, as well as the usual cooling system components replacement.

Glad to find this site because I was getting bored on the E46 Fanatic site.

Yo. Welcome to the Mafia.

Awesome story. So the car runs like butta now?

Bored of E46f FTW!

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Welcome to the Family.

Hell of a story. Glad it all worked out.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Great story. I have a friend who lives in your neck of the woods (Carmichael).

Welcome to the forum.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

Welcome to the family. They probably could have saved themselves a lot of time, trouble, and money if they had just gone with the engine swap in the first place. I'm glad that it all worked out for you in the end.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Welcome, and have fun with your new car!!!

Welcome! Sounds like that car has given you quite the ride. Glad its sorted now.

Tapatalk...It's what the doctor ordered.

Welcome to the site can't wait to meet up at a meet coming soon

Welcome. Love me some Jet Black! Great story, glad it worked out.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast