Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zhp vs. 335i

zhp vs. 335i

Hello!

Newbie here with a query that I couldn't see addressed in the most recent threads. Forgive me if it's been discussed before (mods - please feel to merge if that is the case).

Curious to know the take of those who have driven 335i's - regular I mean, not the "is". Since they are more recent (more powerful?) with updated technology and gizmos, do they handle as well as the zhp?

And yes, I am very much aware that I am posting on a zhp forum.

Thanks!

Hmmm. Loaded question. I owned both cars: 2003 ZHP and 2007 335i ZSP. The 335i could, in theory, outhandle my ZHP but it didn't offer the same feeling. The extra weight of the 335i, the standard RFTs (switching those out helps) and the car's general isolation translated to a car that turned well but never felt alive in my hands. It was fast, secure and competent.

If I went back to an e9x car, it'd be the 328 or M3. The 335i for all the extra weight, just didn't give me goosebumps in corners. It's really fast but even that is kinda boring as the turbo just lays on power without the manic rush I get from BMW's natural engines.

As BMW moves toward turbos I see myself moving toward their used cars.

"Handling" is a function of many different things: actual mechanical grip, lap times, and most importantly, feel. Objectively, the 335 will probably handle better (stock for stock) than a ZHP, but so much is down to how a car feels and the confidence it inspires.
    - Marc

I am away from my computer. I owned a 2009 335 zsp and 2005 zhp at the same time.

I will compare the two when I get home.

The short answer, though, is that I think you have to tweak the 335 to make it feel as good as the zhp feels stock. Note my use of the word feel.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

nike001 Guest
    My step dad has a 335 and i work at the nearby bmw dealer as a porter and i drive e90/e92's a lot. To simply put it...I don't like them. I like the way my zhp feels a lot more

IMO there is way too many things to consider.

Wheel Length, Tires, Steering Racks, Weight...etc.

Driving both the 335i is a great car, but it lacks in the turns and it only likes to go through the boost. Even though boost is present in the low RPM, you don't achieve much until high

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Quote Originally Posted by brkf View Post
    Hmmm. Loaded question. I owned both cars: 2003 ZHP and 2007 335i ZSP. The 335i could, in theory, outhandle my ZHP but it didn't offer the same feeling. The extra weight of the 335i, the standard RFTs (switching those out helps) and the car's general isolation translated to a car that turned well but never felt alive in my hands. It was fast, secure and competent.

If I went back to an e9x car, it'd be the 328 or M3. The 335i for all the extra weight, just didn't give me goosebumps in corners. It's really fast but even that is kinda boring as the turbo just lays on power without the manic rush I get from BMW's natural engines.

As BMW moves toward turbos I see myself moving toward their used cars.
    Thanks! Very helpful to get the feedback from drivers who have driven both.

Marcus - hope to get your feedback too soon.

And if you are interested, do browse these interesting threads on the same subject in other forums:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/b...onsidered.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=385782

So here is my experience. I owned the 335 for two years. I have owned the ZHP for nearly a year. I owned the 335 up until 8 weeks ago. I still own the ZHP.

The stock 335 (with ZSP) had a lot of body roll. You could feel it on long sweepers (on bridges, etc.). In fact, it reminded me of our E39 (but not quite to the same extent). Anyhow, I knew that I would have to tighten the suspension up. As a result, we bought KW v2 coilovers. That was a great addition to the car. Also, we took the run flats off. Those rocks/boulders sucked. That made a big difference.

With the ZHP, I haven't had any desire to change out the suspension. It "feels" more sure than the stock 335 felt. It's also tight enough so that I don't feel the need to put coilovers on it (if I did put coilovers on it, I would change the wheels at the same time. I digress, though).

Also, and this is important to me: the ZHP isn't that powerful. As compared to the 335, it's not fast. As a result, I never feel that it needs more than the suspension it already has. The suspension and the power are very well mated on this car. I didn't feel the same way about the 335, which was 300 HP stock. The suspension needed to be more tight than it was.

Anyhow, that's my take on it.

spencers Guest
    I'd be more willing to compare the ZHP to the 135i; in terms of size/weight, as the BMW's are getting more bloated over the chassis years.

Spence, that's why I was reminded of the E39 when I got the E92. Had a similar feel -- stock v. stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast