Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lots of tire noise from Goodyear F1's

I have a set of Goodyear f1 tires on my car. Rear have <5k miles. Front have more. But I have A LOT of tire noise from them. Especially at higher speeds. Does anyone here have experience with these tires and have experienced the same thing or is something else wrong like my tires are cupped?
    Last edited by HokieZHP; 06-22-2011 at 07:37 AM.
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

I've never had those tires but some tires are just plain noisy. I had some Sumitomos (back in the day) that sounded like monster truck tires. They were perfectly fine. Also had a set of Yokes that were louder than I appreciated. For the record, the quietest tires I've had were the Bridgestone S-03 (pole position). Not the new ones. This was about 9 years ago. Best tires ever.

Hopefully someone with your tires, though, can chime in.

F1s are typically very quiet and comfortable. I've had two sets of them and have loved them. I've gotten some noise at the end of their lives, so I'd get your alignment checked by a race shop or a BMW dealership to make sure you're not getting abnormal wear. Similar noise could be coming from the wheel bearings, as well.
    - Marc

Thanks for that info!

I'm going to see my mechanic in Durham who only works on BMW's and Porsches so he should be able to find out what's up with it. I'll be sure to ask about wheel bearings though. I'm also getting the tires balanced and aligned because it shakes at speed. Once that's all done I'll report back and see what needs to be done.

Good info.

Looking forward to the results!

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Alright so my suspicions were confirmed, the front tires are very cupped. After looking at the front tires more closely the alignment is off by a good amount and the tread wear is very uneven. There is no noise under acceleration but once the front end settles the noise is apparent and during braking it gets very loud! So I ordered up some new Continental DWS tires for the front. Since the rear tires are basically new, my mechanic was confident that we could save them with a new alignment before they also got cupped.

Thanks for the update. It will be tough to self correct the cupping.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I had KDW's before on my car and these tires were very loud on the road. I had just gotten used to it until I drove a friends car. I noticed it wasnt as loud as mine. I switched to Hankook V12s. My car is quiet once again.

True. Hopefully the rears aren't too bad. We'll see though. They are new so it'd be a waste to just throw them out.
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    True. Hopefully the rears aren't too bad. We'll see though. They are new so it'd be a waste to just throw them out.
    +1

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast