Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Michelin Pilot Supersport vs. Extremecontact DW

I've had the unfortunate opportunity to have both of these tires on my car in the last two months and thought I'd post some impressions for anyone looking for new high performance SUMMER tires.

Extremecontact DW:
    - reasonably priced
    - excellent tread wear rating for a tire in this category
    - VERY comfortable, quiet ride
    - once broken in, sticky when pushed, but a little bit "numb"
    - great in rain, standing water
    - backordered all over the place right now except for tirebuyer.com

Pilot Supersport:
    - successor to PS2
    - couple hundred $ more
    - less impressive wear rating (300 vs. 330)
    - just as quiet and comfortable
    - completely mind boggling initial and sustained grip
    - incredible turn-in
    - wider section-width (like the beefier look)

The Pilots are CLEARLY on another level of performance compared to the DW. The DW will leave people wanting for nothing, really, unless they're going to the track. The Supersports are definitely overkill for normal, daily driving, but this passion is all about overkill, isn't it?

In the end, I'm happy to end up with the Supersports since I'm pissed at continental for not making their freaking tire. I'm also happy to have them because they are really incredible tires that seem to be a "do-everything" type of product. They're not only seconds faster than PS2s on the track, but they're comfy and durable - win/win! So this gives me an excuse to take a wrong turn and arrive at a track with my ZHP one day. Oh well...
    - Marc

Thanks for the review Marc.

I would also like to add that TireBuyer.com is one of our affiliate advertisers. (See all affiliate advertisers here.)
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Great info. Thanks for the write up. Leaning towards the Supersports when the time comes.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Had them in EXTREMELY heavy rain, standing water today and they were awesome. Definitely took a lot more to break them loose around corners than the DW, but that's all down to compound since I wasn't cornering quickly in standing water.
    - Marc

Thanks for the real world input! I've had several different tires on my ZHP and always come back to the PS2's. Glad to hear that the PSS's are even better!

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

No problem. You know, if you wanted to buy a Ferrari 458 Italia, it would come to you with Pilot Supersports on it! haha
    - Marc

nike001 Guest
    As stated in my own thread... I'm probably going to be getting the Michelin Pilot SS's. Thanks for the reinforcement

Glad to help. I have a bit of a tire fetish. Between my past cars (e30, e46) and current (r53, e46), I've owned more sets of tires than I'd care to share or even attempt to count. These are shaping up to be well beyond the best of the bunch.
    - Marc

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Good stuff to consider when I go to wrap my Style 73's in summers.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk. Fixed.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast