Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Meltdown!

Christian - Greg in KC.....

keep us updated; let me know if there's anything I can do to help.......
    so sorry to hear about that - absolutely stinks......
    - now with 5 speeds

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    Christian - Greg in KC.....

keep us updated; let me know if there's anything I can do to help.......
    so sorry to hear about that - absolutely stinks......
    Thanks Greg, last Sunday is not my favorite day for sure

I've got some exploration to do under the valve cover and likely inside the oil pan to determine whether I try to bolt on new parts, or just chuck this lump and drop in a new one. I should have some opportunity this Saturday for a forensic expedition, but given how the oil filler cap smells and the expansion tank looks I am not optimistic.

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by tian647 View Post
    Thanks Greg, last Sunday is not my favorite day for sure

I've got some exploration to do under the valve cover and likely inside the oil pan to determine whether I try to bolt on new parts, or just chuck this lump and drop in a new one. I should have some opportunity this Saturday for a forensic expedition, but given how the oil filler cap smells and the expansion tank looks I am not optimistic.

Christian
    You gots white slime?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

What a sad way to say hello to a new car. I hope you get this figured out!

I have every confidence Christian will get to the bottom of this; one way or the other. he's been known to tinker on a car or two!
    - now with 5 speeds

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    I have every confidence Christian will get to the bottom of this; one way or the other. he's been known to tinker on a car or two!

Pics from the initial ZHP teardown.
    Note the white goo on the neck of the reservoir

and the milky, greenish oil I drained
    (the green is from the cheap-ass antifreeze sourced from Bob's Truck Stop in Nashville, IL while I waited for the rescue wagon).

The oil smelled very burnt but 7+ quarts drained out OK and the top end at least looks decent yet

although there is some charcoalized oil on the intake cam splash shield.

One thing that bothers me is all the red RTV at the back end of the valve cover gasket;
    lazy-ass shade tree fix there.

Brett Anderson of Koala MotorSports mentioned some possibility of the cams seizing from overheating but I don't see any evidence this occurred, although to be honest I'm not exactly sure what I'd be looking for. I'd expect to find more baked-on oil residue around the cam journals, which fortunately isn't there.

Next step is to individually loosen and re-torque each head bolt in turn and see if the block threads hold or if they got too hot and have fatigued...I'm scared to start this step :/

My other area of concern is that while it turned over really, really easy right after the event now it cranks very hard which has me worried about the bottom end or at least the pistons and rings. I can't find much anecdotal evidence to suggest this is a common problem after overheating, so perhaps I'm just being paranoid. Thoughts?

For sure it wants a head gasket, valve cover gasket, crankcase vent valve and hoses, coolant hoses and tank, thermostat, water pump, mebbe a radiator too. I'm also debating just timeserting the block anyway, even if the head bolts do hold torque.

Anything else y'all might suggest inspecting or replacing while I'm in there?

Cheers,

Christian Els
    Kansas City, MO
    Last edited by tian647; 06-25-2011 at 11:51 AM.

That red is on back side of valve cover gasket.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    That red is on back side of valve cover gasket.
    Er, yeah - that. Guess what I have on my mind

Christian

Also, another update while I'm thinking about it...I bought one of those $20 ELM 327 bluetooth ODBII dongles and plugged it into the car today.

It claims there are no current and no historic codes set, even though when the car overheated my first warning sign was the Service Engine Soon lamp illuminating.

The software that came with it is pretty awful, anybody have a recommendation for their preferred Windows/Bluetooth code reader app?

Christian

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast