Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vehicle history concerns -- Autocheck, not included in rollback calculation

Hello,

I used autocheck (thru our website ) to look up a zhp listing and found something related to the odometer that worries me: the report says no indication of odometer rolback or tampering but the mileage #s for their reported date doesn't make sense.

Following is the table from the report:

0 Problem(s) Reported:
    =============================
    Mileage Date Reported
    --------------------------------------
    11 04/29/2004
    20,000 01/22/2009 not included in rollback calculation
    15,956 03/30/2009
    20,700 05/27/2009
    28,000 01/14/2010
    30,000 10/09/2010
    30,441 11/18/2010

=============================

Puzled that it goes from 11 miles to 20,000 and then drops to 15,956. Do any of the members have some plausible explanations?

When I searched on the web about "not included in rollback", I found the following on yahoo answers which could probably explain the above:

"A rollback is a vehicle that has been delivered to someone else but the sale did not go through. Generally because the buyer could not get a loan. That vehicle was returned to the dealer and it could have been driven for 2 days or 2 months. Carfax does not know the milage when the vehicle was returned." (source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9111430AAaVlwu)

Two things worry me assuming the above is correct:

(1) If mileage was not known when the car was returned, then it could be anything from 10k to 100k. Beats me how they can assign a random 20k #! Should we disregard it and assume that the 15,956 number is the accurate one?

That doesn't make sense because of my second concern -

(2) If vehicle was returned to the dealer, it is bizzare that it was just sitting there in IL from April 2004 until it reached AZ in Jan 2009 and someone kept paying for the registration/renewal (as I can see in the report).

I suspect that the vechicle was driven between 2004 and 2009 and so the current mileage on the car is understated. Would greatly appreciate the other members thoughts on this issue.

Thanks!

Let me get my Autocheck report from when I bought my car. As I recall, there were huge gaps in it. It means that there were not any registration events (that got recorded) and it also means that the dealer was not reporting maintenance events on a regular basis.

Yep. Just looked at mine. Showed a registration event at 8 miles. New owner. There was never another mileage update after that. The most recent update was when I registered the vehicle in California. It shows mileage. So, there were no mileage markers between August 2005 and September 2010.

At least with yours you can see that there were mileage events.

As for the odometer issue, shoot a note to autocheck. Ask them what it means (or could mean).

The car could have received a new odometer (cluster) at some point.

Bear in mind these car data aggregators don't pull info from all 50 states (at least Carfax does not) nor do they have any way of indicating when a guy doing a state inspection enters your mileage into the computer incorrectly. Or when a state employee enters the wrong mileage when issuing a new title. Etc., etc.

I think I can run a free Carfax. PM me the VIN or post it here.

Mark, here you go: WBAEV53454KM05975

I found this on another forum:

"A rollback is when the odometer has been "rolled back" to a lower number. (not easily possible on a C5). This is autocheck, not carfax.
    "Not included" was because it is a small number within a close date, meaning that is a reporting error, either by typo of the mileage or the date. No one is going to roll back mileage 30 miles, even if possible. Autocheck merely did not include this as a reported rollback because a sensible person would not do so either. Had it been a large number, or a lower number after a longer period of time, it would have been reported as a possible rollback."

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...lculation.html

Isn't what it says now (about 30k) really what matters most? It should be within 5k miles. Who knows what happened.

I didn't think our odo's could be rolled back?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Odo rollback not likely. Cluster exchange possible, though. But I think the guy on the other forum has it right. Not an odo incident here. More likely it was an error -- somewhere along the line -- that Autocheck does not believe indicates an odo incident.

I'm willing to bet that the 20k figure was just an estimate that they got wrong, or perhaps they felt the need to round up. Either way, I personally am convinced that it's a clerical error, nothing more.

Plus, how are you going to roll the mileage back on an E46 with a complicated EWS and mileage redundancy system? I'm sure the system would flag multiple modules being messed with.

I personally never believed Carfax or any other site like this because they have incomplete data, and many times even report accidents that never happened or not report accidents that did. It's false reassurance.

I say that if the mileage reads that low, it is that low.

Mark,
    If the cluster was replaced and wasn't coded, the tamper dot would illuminate next to the odometer. If it isn't there, all of the modules in the car agree on the mileage, meaning the cluster was adapted to the car, or it was never replaced.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

If you change odo on our cars...I believe is resynchs to what mileage is stored in computer. Prevents cluster swap odo disguising.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post

Mark,
    If the cluster was replaced and wasn't coded, the tamper dot would illuminate next to the odometer. If it isn't there, all of the modules in the car agree on the mileage, meaning the cluster was adapted to the car, or it was never replaced.
    Good to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast