Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K&N?

Ok I just got an oiled drop in filter since I had a credit so it turned out to only be $24 and the Mann filter was $17 so i figured why not haha. Haven't noticed any difference compared to stock.

Most likely all you would note is a slight increase in fuel economy - assuming you drive under comparable conditions (e.g. correct/constant tire pressure) and the same grade and quality of gas.

That's what I've experienced in one of my older cars.

You may not even see that with these cars.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk. Fixed.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

I dropped on into my stock airbox right after a BMW inspection 1 service, and right before our long roadtrip. This was pre-oiled from the factory. Our first tank we got 32.5 mpg. Keep in mind we had a good tailwind and didn't stop any time during that tank, but we got really decent mileage for most of the trip.

I've put K&N filters in most of the cars I've owned and have had a positive experience. Never really have had a noticeable power or sound increase, but it's nice "only have to buy once" kind of part.

Jason | 2004 BMW 330i ZHP | 6 Speed Manual | Imola Red | Natural Brown | BBS Style 197s | Awesomeness

Get a dry AFE. You do not have to worry about filter oil contamination. Easy and faster to service and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by etomori View Post
    Get a dry AFE. You do not have to worry about filter oil contamination. Easy and faster to service and clean.
    It'll suck more dust than the OEM or oiled filter (K&n, aFe etc.)

Tim, why will it do that?

If I'm correct, for it to allow an increase in airflow without an increase in surface area or change in media type, it has to be less restrictive, ie more dust. K&N adds oiling to allow more flow with equivalent filtration. The best filter is still paper; the only way to get more flow though is to increase surface area. Not feasible in the stock box.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Paul

zj96sc
    That's exaclty what I wanted to post, but you did it first

Marcus
    Paul gave the details, basically it is true. I can't speak for US roads, but in Russia roads are pretty dusty, different kind of soil...

Much appreciated, guys. Appreciate the education.

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
    but it's nice "only have to buy once" kind of part.
    I fail to see how an air filter element can be a "buy once" part..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast