Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Auto X Newbie Setups?

So, after going to my first Auto X event and talking to some of the people and watching for a couple hours I am excited and want to do it.

Looking for some advice though on things I should know and get.

Vehicle: 2006 330i Sport Package
    Wheels: 19" OEM 359M

I figured this season will be my learning period and because I already missed 2 events I won't be able to be a serious points contender.

What are some things I can do for better weight reduction, power, handling? I know, I need to learn the basics first, but lets be serious. Mods are going to happen regardless, they might as well be practical and functional mods now and cosmetics will take a back seat for now.

Things I had on the list.

Strut Brace
    Suspension
    Exhaust
    Intake
    I imagine new wheels and tires are something I need (dedicated)

Im just looking for a direction to go in. I know everything takes time and practice.

Thanks
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Run this season with nothing. Run with what tires you have on (even if they are crappy) and get to know your lines.

I know you want to be serious, but it all starts with a good driver...seriously. If you go out and buy new stickier tires, then you will not know when you did something wrong (For example all-season tires make massive noise on understeer and loosing traction as opposed to Hankook RS-3s which are quite when you can be understeering the whole turn).

I ran a year with all-season tires on my old E46. I started at the end of class list but at the end of the year I was mid-group...and I actually reached the end of my tire's capability...I got to know the lines, good flow...etc.

Now with this E86 I have sticker tires, but because I have a good line techniques; I can learn this car much quickly. Even though I have a stock car, today I beat a E92 M3 by 4.5 seconds. He has 100 more HP, but he couldn't drive the damn thing...which makes all of the difference.

Anyways, I'd shoot for a ST_ class. You'd probably fall into STX because of the Suspension. You can mod the exhaust and intake and stay in D-Stock

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Thanks monkey, the reason I was asking about most functional mods was because I'm going to mod regardless just might as well be something good to have ya know. I just cant help myself with getting stuff.

I was concerned about tires not for stickys, but doesn't it tear up your tires fast? I don't want to destroy my dd tires is all, I could care less about r compounds as this point. I agree I need to drive and learn first

Quote Originally Posted by M3TA5IN View Post
    Thanks monkey, the reason I was asking about most functional mods was because I'm going to mod regardless just might as well be something good to have ya know. I just cant help myself with getting stuff.

I was concerned about tires not for stickys, but doesn't it tear up your tires fast? I don't want to destroy my dd tires is all, I could care less about r compounds as this point. I agree I need to drive and learn first
    I ran 10 Auto-X Events on my Hankook V4s last year when I had my E46 and the tire wear was little to none. Still plenty of tread. When you run higher treadwear ratings (300-350+) The wear is minimal.

I would just mod into a Street Tire Class. If you stay in stock you're going to have to battle R-Compound cars. STX in my area is extremely tight, and you usually always find a car to go up against. Suspension and Sways are your best bet now. I'd avoid exhaust, intake and chip IMO....they don't do you anygood in autocross where handling is key

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

spencers Guest
    Agreed with Kyle.

You need NOTHING! Get out there and have fun!!!!!

That's what autocross is all about. You don't need stupid bolt-ons. You need to learn to be a better driver! No mod is going to make you better. (OK maybe tires, but you shouldn't be considering r-comps until you have about a year of experience, IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    Agreed with Kyle.

You need NOTHING! Get out there and have fun!!!!!

That's what autocross is all about. You don't need stupid bolt-ons. You need to learn to be a better driver! No mod is going to make you better. (OK maybe tires, but you shouldn't be considering r-comps until you have about a year of experience, IMO)
    I'm not even going to consider R-Comps and I've been doing it for 2 years. I'm just getting RS-3s.

IMO you only need R-Comps if you go to nationals. Going through a set each year is crazy. Not to mention the price tag on them is outrageous.

Ok I need to read over the classes that was confusing me but I just skimmed the scca PDF on my phone while I was watching

Quote Originally Posted by M3TA5IN View Post
    Ok I need to read over the classes that was confusing me but I just skimmed the scca PDF on my phone while I was watching
    You'll either be D-Stock or STX.

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    You'll either be D-Stock or STX.
    Different size wheels will take him out of DS

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    Different size wheels will take him out of DS
    Yep, I was going off the assumption on his last sentence in his OP saying maybe new wheels and tires.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast