Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
    Sears sells a jack with stands as a package deal. Don't recall the price but they do tend to have sales on major holidays. Speaking of which, Harbor Freight sells a pair of aluminum jack stands for $40 and, at least as of a week ago, they had a stack of coupons at the cashier stand for 25% off any single item purchased on July 4th. Bring the whole fam and buy 2 pairs of stands and a low-pro alum jack and you're off to the proverbial races.
    If they're the same aluminum HF jack stands I had I wouldn't recommend them. They were not very tall and just looked too light duty for me to trust. Better off with some full size steel ones. I ended up selling mine right after I bought them.

As far as a front jack point, my jack wouldn't get under the car either. So, I used some wood planks (1", 2" would be better) to raise the front end. There is a jack point under the front center of the car. It's just past the splash guard/shield under the engine.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGraphic View Post
    [ . . . ] There is a jack point under the front center of the car. It's just past the splash guard/shield under the engine.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Johnny
    The front-&-center jack point on (I think) post-facelift E46s has always been contentious. The early E46s have a nice rubber puck at that point for jacking:

Later E46s – to include our beloved ZHPs – have no such pad & in fact have an aluminum skid plate covering that point.

Now, some people (myself included) feel that there is still enough support under the aluminum skid plate to warrant jacking the car there (as the cross member is in the same location as on older E46s), but at the cost of deforming said aluminum.

UPDATE: Found a pic of said aluminum skid pad/jack point:

I wish I had taken a picture of the jack point. There was a raised rectangular area in the skid plate. Yes, it did deform, but I don't believe anything else happened.
    That raised rectangular area is the point in question; I believe it is right where the early E46s had the rubber pad attached to the cross member. You can see the black support that runs right above the rectangular spot.
    Last edited by Crickett; 09-17-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: corrected IMG link

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
    The front-&-center jack point on (I think) post-facelift E46s has always been contentious. The early E46s have a nice rubber puck at that point for jacking:

Later E46s – to include our beloved ZHPs – have no such pad & in fact have an aluminum skid plate covering that point.

Now, some people (myself included) feel that there is still enough support under the aluminum skid plate to warrant jacking the car there (as the cross member is in the same location as on older E46s), but at the cost of deforming said aluminum.
    I wish I had taken a picture of the jack point. There was a raised rectangular area in the skid plate. Yes, it did deform, but I don't believe anything else happened.
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Easiest way to get the front up is just to get a set of Rhino ramps ($40 or so at Wal Mart). Then if you need the front wheels off you can jack from the area marked in green in the pics above and place your jack stands at the front jack points on each side. You'll need a couple of pieces of 2 X 6 or similar about 15" long to drive onto before hitting the ramps so you front bumper will clear the ramp.

I modded my jack stands by cutting off the saddle on top so that they are a perfect fit for the jack points now. Not necessary but it adds a little more security.

Barry

My ZHP doesn't go up my rhino ramps without using 2x4's in front of them so the bumpers hit the ramps otherwise. So just FYI for anyone using Rhino ramps, use some 2x4's
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by billschusteriv View Post
    And there is no front central jacking point on a non-Xi that you can "safely" lift both sides of your car by at once.
    There is a jack point under the front center of the car. It's just past the splash guard/shield under the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
    The front-&-center jack point on (I think) post-facelift E46s has always been contentious. [ . . . ]

Just got some more info on this topic: Roundel's Mike Miller, in his (copyrighted*) "BMW E46 Jacking Procedure" guide, has this to say about the infamous front jacking point:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller
    . . . the front lift point . . . is a square block in the aluminum reinforcement plate under the front suspension carrier.
    So that's one more vote for the aluminum square as the front jack point. However you jack up your car, just remember to be safe & careful!

*(I was going to link to the PDF, but he requests that his guides not be posted, to help ensure outdated information isn't passed around forever. You can email him at techtalk@roundel.org if you'd like a copy of his guides.)

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Well, in light of that... and the fact that mine is already bent, I'll be using that from now on.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Thanks Crickett for the info from Mike Miller. I am about to do more work under the car in the next week or so and this helps ease my mind!

Johnny

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Well, in light of that... and the fact that mine is already bent, I'll be using that from now on.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    If this jack point bends/is bent, why is it an authorized jack point?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast