Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If this jack point bends/is bent, why is it an authorized jack point?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    I think the splash plate is just a cover for the underside, so it's o.k. if it gets bent. Above that rectangular piece is the jack point.

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Since we're on the subject, I recently bought these jack stands. I like the redundant locking mechanism-it has both a ratchet and pin lock.

http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T42002A-...6639756&sr=8-7

And I got this low profile (although it doesn't say so in the description) 2.5 ton floor jack. It just barely fits under the car (with stock suspension setup) and is long enough to reach back to the jacking points. http://www.harborfreight.com/25-ton-...ump-68049.html

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGraphic View Post
    I think the splash plate is just a cover for the underside, so it's o.k. if it gets bent. Above that rectangular piece is the jack point.

Johnny
    Understand.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Not sure- mine is definitely mangled, though, and I'm thinking it's from jacking there.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Not sure- mine is definitely mangled, though, and I'm thinking it's from jacking there.
    It's a factory-included customization feature: molds instantly to your jack for a custom, secure jacking point!

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Given that it takes me about 10 minutes to put her on ramps and then jack from the "frame" (green point above) and then jackstand 2x on yellow, I will not ever touch the center plate with a jack. Just no reason to.

Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    Given that it takes me about 10 minutes to put her on ramps and then jack from the "frame" (green point above) and then jackstand 2x on yellow, I will not ever touch the center plate with a jack. Just no reason to.
    Agree. I find, through experience.... The way I lift the front of my car is:

Jack up one side of car, as high as your jack allows from rear side jackpoint, then put a jackstand under front, same side jack point. Then I lower jack, move jack to front jack point on other side and raise car up even to other side. Then I slide jack stand under that side... But on frame. This takes maybe 5 minutes.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    One minute vs ten is enough for me.

Every other car I've owned or worked on had a center jacking point up front.

Every time I go through the convoluted ramp or one-side-at-a-time jacking process, I mutter under my breath at the lack of central jacking point.

I'll be on the subframe brace from here on out.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGraphic View Post

Johnny
    If it's just a splash plate why do they say to never drive the car without it installed? It's supposedly a chassis stiffener that ties the two frame rails together. If you've ever had it off you know how lightweight it is. Maybe....maybe, if it was already dented like Keiths is I might use it, but I'd be awful nervous lifting that much weight with that thin aluminum plate.

Autozone.com
    Agree. I find, through experience.... The way I lift the front of my car is:

Jack up one side of car, as high as your jack allows from rear side jackpoint, then put a jackstand under front, same side jack point. Then I lower jack, move jack to front jack point on other side and raise car up even to other side. Then I slide jack stand under that side... But on frame. This takes maybe 5 minutes.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    This is how I get jacked up. And it doesn't take but maybe 3 mins.

I actually need to get my car up in the air today, so I'll time it.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast