Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    If it's just a splash plate why do they say to never drive the car without it installed? It's supposedly a chassis stiffener that ties the two frame rails together. If you've ever had it off you know how lightweight it is. Maybe....maybe, if it was already dented like Keiths is I might use it, but I'd be awful nervous lifting that much weight with that thin aluminum plate.
    This is true. It is a re-enforcement plate.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Agree. I find, through experience.... The way I lift the front of my car is:

Jack up one side of car, as high as your jack allows from rear side jackpoint, then put a jackstand under front, same side jack point. Then I lower jack, move jack to front jack point on other side and raise car up even to other side. Then I slide jack stand under that side... But on frame. This takes maybe 5 minutes.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Dane,
    Show me a pic of where you put the stand under the frame. Specifically, the frame exactly where you support it with the jack.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    If it's just a splash plate why do they say to never drive the car without it installed? It's supposedly a chassis stiffener that ties the two frame rails together. If you've ever had it off you know how lightweight it is. Maybe....maybe, if it was already dented like Keiths is I might use it, but I'd be awful nervous lifting that much weight with that thin aluminum plate.
    It is a stiffening plate, but for torsional rigidity. Lifting there isn't placing the car's weight on the aluminum, it's sandwiching the aluminum between the jack & front crossmember, a very solid point to lift from.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
    Dane,
    Show me a pic of where you put the stand under the frame. Specifically, the frame exactly where you support it with the jack.
    The green squares.

Jacked up my car, took 2 mins-38 secs.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans323i View Post
    The green squares.

Jacked up my car, took 2 mins-38 secs.
    No... Not exactly.

I use aft yellow point to jack high.... Then place a stand under forward yellow point.... Then lower jack.

Move jack to other side. Jack up using front yellow point, and put stand under green point.

I slightly lower jack now.... Just to lightly place it on stand, and leave jack where it is.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Awesome thread.

My 2 cents, I would not jack on anything made of aluminum. Period.

I like the Rhino ramp idea if only to have that extra layer of protection in case of a slip.

No... Not exactly.

I use aft yellow point to jack high.... Then place a stand under forward yellow point.... Then lower jack.

Move jack to other side. Jack up using front yellow point, and put stand under green point.

I slightly lower jack now.... Just to lightly place it on stand, and leave jack where it is.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Yes it is much easier this way when the car is lowered.

Changed my oil last weekend and had to jack up the car for the first time. Here's what I did:

Drove the front 2 wheels of the car up on (2) 2x4 pieces of wood so that I could get my jack under the front of the car (I have ramps, and no way to get the car on them, too low)

Jacked from the aluminum square mentioned 2 pages previously.

Placed steel jack stands under the 2 green jack stand pad locations.

Put 2 wheel chaulks behind the rear wheels.

Shook the car a few times to make sure it was solid before getting under the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    Changed my oil last weekend and had to jack up the car for the first time. Here's what I did:

Drove the front 2 wheels of the car up on (2) 2x4 pieces of wood so that I could get my jack under the front of the car (I have ramps, and no way to get the car on them, too low)

Jacked from the aluminum square mentioned 2 pages previously.

Placed steel jack stands under the 2 green jack stand pad locations.

Put 2 wheel chaulks behind the rear wheels.

Shook the car a few times to make sure it was solid before getting under the car.
    You should be able to use the wood to drive up on the ramps as well.

Autozone.com
    You should be able to use the wood to drive up on the ramps as well.
    I bought a set of Rhino ramps last weekend. Tried this method with the 2x8s to get up onto the ramps. Did not work because the ramps began sliding forward. I guess my garage floor is too slippery. I got a plan to mod the ramps with 2x8s that will brace against the front wall of the garage. Either that or put the ramps on a non-skid rubber mat.

I ended up jacking the car by using my floor jack on the green frame areas and jackstands on the yellow areas. I raised in two stages.

While under there (for the first time) I note a few things:

Cutout in aluminum shield is for draining the motor oil. Why is that little door always missing?
    Oil drain plug is in side ways (wierd) and looks to be awkward to work with.
    Does the car really need the aluminum shield?
    I do have a GM step tranny (good) but could not determine which model.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast