Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Other shock/strut choices

Looking for low cost for the wives vert, anyone using anything other than Koni or Bilstein?

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Sachs makes good stuff at a decent price. If BMW uses them as their OE provider...
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Honestly.....for decent setup...you won't get much cheaper than the H&R cupkit touring.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Honestly.....for decent setup...you won't get much cheaper than the H&R cupkit touring.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Looks good but, I'm not planning on doing the springs. I need to look at control arms and bushings first.

Thanks for the suggestion

Brembo Rotor

Both are good brands but between the two I'd be partial to the Bilsteins. For stock springs and a more controlled ride I think the HDs would be my choice. Not sure if they have them for E46s but Bilstein also makes a Touring line that is black rather than yellow. We put a pair of those in the front of my gfs E36 and they are smooth! And not to mention quite a bit cheaper than the HDs. They are considered an OEM level replacement.

I just bought a right front Sachs strut from these guys because I bent one, best deal I could find. I trust Sachs-Boge, that's what came on our cars so...

http://www.4wheelsautoparts.com/stru...-c-23_318.html
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Thanks guys, I just ordered Bilstein Touring from ECS Tuning. I never knew about ESC Tuning before the Mafia, even though it's right hear in Ohio. Also; I never heard of the Bilstein Tourings until this post. I don't know how I made it before the ZHP Mafia. LOL

Brembo Rotor

Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    Thanks guys, I just ordered Bilstein Touring from ECS Tuning. I never knew about ESC Tuning before the Mafia, even though it's right hear in Ohio. Also; I never heard of the Bilstein Tourings until this post. I don't know how I made it before the ZHP Mafia. LOL
    Glad we could help. That's a solid setup, and a solid company. My coilovers came from them as well.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I had the Bilstein Touring shocks and struts on my E36. I was really happy with the ride quality and performance from them.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Installed tonight

The shocks arrived Tuesday and I installed them tonight. I have never done them on a vert and found only one tread to help me out so, I decided to take some pictures to help out you guys with ZHP verts. I must say the vert was easier then my Saloon.

First; jack up the car, remove the wheel and place a jack stand under the rear control arm. Let the jack down so the car is supported by the jack stand, otherwise you will have to do this to get the shock in.

Next; open the top half way and stop, shut off the car.

Next; locate and remove the two plugs over the shocks from both sides.

Carefully remove the two attaching nuts. I used a needle nose pliers to retrieve them after they were un-threaded all the way.

Next, remove the lower bolt. FYI this is a great place to use the air impact, otherwise you may need a pipe on the end of your beaker bar.

Now that the shock is out, remove the shock mount. Use a Vice grips to hold the shock from rotating while removing the nut. Another good place for the air tool.

Just reverse the process to put it back together. Total job 1.5-2 hours. Only trouble spot was removing one of the mounts. I needed to use a hammer that didn't work but, was able to get it by butting a Vise grips in the shaft and using a big screwdriver to rotate the mount by the attachment bolts. Then again i used the BIG screwdriver to smack the plate at the shaft intersection rotating it after every hit. Got er done!

Lastly; Get someone to help get the top back in order. I had to move it manually, It's a bit tricky, be careful.

Brembo Rotor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast