Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Question Tire Wear and Brands

Ok, now that we have a site of just zhp owners, im curious about everyone's tire wear, and experience with tires. Pls let me know sizes, wear, and personal experience of what you have run. Ill start, as I am getting new tires tomorrow.

I run a staggered setup, so there is no rotation tires. My last (current set until tomorrow) was michelin pilot sport AS Plus. 235/40/18 and 265/35/18. These tires have almost exactly 20,000 miles on them right now. The front tires are only 1/2 worn, but the rears are bald. I mean done. I am replacing rears only with Continental DWS, and also going down to a 255/35/18. I hope this helps with my wear in the rear. (side note, i do not do burnouts, etc, but do drive Sporty) I did thoroughly enjoy the michilens. grip was great, especially in rain and snow. And they were quiet at highway speeds. I just thought i would get more wear out of a guaranteed 45k mile tire.

What kind of wear do the rest of you experience?

David
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Umm....I experience normal wear. I mean, I have Hankook Ventus V12's and I love them, but typically tire wear is going to be a function of UTQG rating, road conditions, and how you drive.....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

i guess what i want to know is what is normal tire wear for our cars? i can look up tread-wear rating for each tire, but i want to know if 20k on 45k (advertised) tires is normal for this car, or i am doing something wrong. I also want to find out things like is running a 265 instead of 255 wearing the tire faster. The Mich. ps plus were a 500 tread-wear rating, and guaranteed for 45k miles if you rotate. And they cost $600 bucks for 2! I just got the DWS for 450 cash out the door, which is a great price. I will report on how they ride over the next few thousand miles. They are also around 500 tread-wear.
    D

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

I got 30k outta my last set (Khumos), and they were pretty wasted. I wouldn't ever expect to get more than 30k miles out of a set of tires...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Why would going to 255 from 265 help with wear?

I never expect more than 30k for low profile tires.
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

Yeah...I think it would only wear more on the inner edge due to camber...

I had a lot of center wear on this set of 265's. (they were not overinflated) So i waam going to try the 255 and see what happens. Also, I had to add a 5mm spacer because of the f****** beyern wheels that were supposed to fit but didnt when i put on new pads and rotors last week.......the rears did not clear. So i went back to 255 just to make sure i wouldnt rub, and to see if they last longer. I am not sure why i only got 20k out of these tires. But 20k vs 30k is a BIG difference to me. I have wondered if I need new rtabs, but the car stays true during braking, so im at a loss. That's why I started this thread; to see what everyone else has going on.
    David

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Damn...what was the offset.....?

The original owner of my car put Falkens on (the 452). They're doing pretty well, but I am not sure when they were put on. I am going to send him an email and see if he remembers. I like them so far, though.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Im gonna bump my own thread to try to get some more info from all of you on how long rear tires last for each of you! If i was smart enough to do a poll, i would. I am not, so this is what you get. So, How long do your rear tires last?
    David

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast