Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The expansion tank problem - does it also apply to ZHPs?

BMW did make a better expansion tank part in lieu of all of the cracking.

Do ZHPs have this part? Do they still suffer from the cracking expansion tank? How many people here have dealt with it?

I'm asking because in 5,000 miles I'll be coming up on 100k, and I need to determine if I want to put in a new expansion tank to prevent a catastrophic failure.

Good question, Zell. Hopefully someone will have the answer. At 59K miles I swapped out my entire coolant system, including expansion tank. I did this as part of my preventive maintenance plan.

As far as I've seen from folks like those on this forum, yes the ZHP has the same expansion tank problem as any other E46. I've also been through the BMW parts database often & have never seen a ZHP-unique part number for the expansion tank.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Boo. Well, I may get a shop to do that one for me shortly after 100k, as I have heard that it's common to break off the thermostat in the process of changing it out. Not too interested in figuring out how to install that one.

Mine went out before 40K miles, but fortunately it was covered under CPO. John
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I posed this question to Turner when I was researching the exp tank that they had listed as new and improved:

Good morning,
    I noticed on your website you have what you offer as an improved expansion tank item# 17117573781.
    It says that it replaces the old inferior tank but doesn't specify what makes it any better. Is it a different material, manufacturing process, etc? Who is the manufacturer?
    Appreciate any info you can give me.
    Thanks
    Keith

And the response:

Keith,

Same manufacturer, BEHR, they just updated the version to a better quality one. I think they simply thickened the plastic walls to help prevent cracking. Not sure exactly but whatever they did it worked, these last much longer.

-Doug

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

Douglas Mahar

Turner Motorsport

dugmar@turnermotorsport.com

www.turnermotorsport.com
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Very helpful cuz. I think I'll get one and just tuck it away for the next time I'll need it. John
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I'm pretty sure this is problematic for all e46s... unless you got one of them new fangled tanks... then you might have a little longer before they fail.

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    I posed this question to Turner when I was researching the exp tank that they had listed as new and improved:

Good morning,
    I noticed on your website you have what you offer as an improved expansion tank item# 17117573781.
    It says that it replaces the old inferior tank but doesn't specify what makes it any better. Is it a different material, manufacturing process, etc? Who is the manufacturer?
    Appreciate any info you can give me.
    Thanks
    Keith

And the response:

Keith,

Same manufacturer, BEHR, they just updated the version to a better quality one. I think they simply thickened the plastic walls to help prevent cracking. Not sure exactly but whatever they did it worked, these last much longer.

-Doug

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>
    Douglas Mahar
    Turner Motorsport
    dugmar@turnermotorsport.com
    www.turnermotorsport.com
    Nice research Keith! Thanks for the information!

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

No problem. If I'm not mistaken, the newer tanks are supposed to be good for about 90K.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by Zell View Post
    Boo. Well, I may get a shop to do that one for me shortly after 100k, as I have heard that it's common to break off the thermostat in the process of changing it out. Not too interested in figuring out how to install that one.
    Turner has the "updated" tank.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast