Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

The ZKW Burnt Bowls Thread

Figured since the majority of ZHPs shipped with the plastic bowl Xenons, we'd eventually need this thread. The idea is that we can list our solutions to the problem, as well as info about the burnt bowls (symptoms, etc). I plan to add pictures and more info as it's acquired.

Personally, I went with the Lightwerkz FX-R retrofit due to time constraints, otherwise I would have done the retrofit myself. The parts are $135 from their website, and to have them do the conversion is $500 for parts, labor, and return shipping. The turn around took about 5 days (happened over a weekend), and the results were impressive. i had gotten used to the weak output of my 6 year old ZKWs and was absolutely blown away by the FX-Rs. There is just no comparison. My only complaint is the shape of the cutoff isn't like the stock European specification. Its closer to a JDM type cutoff. (More vertical, Pictures to come).

That said, I'd like to see what others have done to remedy the burnt bowl issue. Post Away

Hate to throw a late wrench in this, but Dane, and OP#2, i think the op's thread, along with its title, will be a good thread to have. Its different front the OP#1 thread, as he is asking for everyones solutions, not just the FX-r solution (and i did something else, and could provide info). BTW, i think it will be a heavily searched topic on the net and drive people here. Just my 2 cents. you may delete this after reading.
    D
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Yeah....no worries. We have one regarding solutions as well....I know it.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Did not find a "Solution" thread.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Nah, leave it in here. I actually just wanted this to be a solution to the ZKWs and upgrade from Halogens.

Len, I'm in for pics of before and after.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

I'm not sure if I have any befores, but I'll definitely throw up the afters once I get my camera from home.

In for inches of bowl.

Oh... and no Xenons here. I've got unburnt OE (ZKW) Halogens that work well - other than life expectancy.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

I had this problem when i bought my car. Searched around and could not find a suitable solution at that time. (2 years ago). I decided to go from bixenons to Depo replacement Xenons. Ive had the depos installed for 2 years. They are a sufficient replacement.
    Good:
    1. I can see! light output is acceptable
    2. Came with Angel eyes, which i was going to do anyway.
    3. They were only $300 or so for the PAIR with bulbs.
    4. Install was easy, and no need for error canceling ballasts, or anything else as the car already knows it has xenons.

BAD

1. You lose the ability to have high beams. The car, being wired for bi-xenons, wants to use the xenon bulb as its high beam and low beam, and uses the halogen bulbs (inside bulbs) as flash to pass only. If i push the stalk forward now, nothing happens. If I pull the stalk to me, the halogens still light up, which is what i do if i need high beams. Now, a few of our subscribers here have figured out programming. I know for sure that Tampa330 has figured this out and can reprogram the car to use the halogens for high beams when the stalk goes forward, but I have not met up with him to do it to my car.

2. Quality control. I had to replace my lenses already, as one of them began spiderwebbing within 3 months of being installed. I lived with it for 2 years, but just put new lenses on there. They look great again. Add +$80 to price above for this replacement.

3. Autoleveling no longer enabled. I don't think auto level works with the new lights. Cant be sure, but I don't think it does. Needs more research on my end for definitive answer.

I think that is about it for my summary of using depos as replacement for the Burnt Bowls of the ZKW's. I sold my ZKW's for $150 or so to someone on E46fan. If the FXR retrofit would have been available to me, i most likely would have gone that route, but all in all, this solution is acceptable and i do not regret the decision. Hope this helps someone. And for those that worry about cutoff's and light output, here is a pic of my 6000k depos. I think the cutoff is sufficient.

Last edited by Mtnman; 07-12-2011 at 12:29 PM.

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
    1. You lose the ability to have high beams. The car, being wired for bi-xenons, wants to use the xenon bulb as its high beam and low beam, and uses the halogen bulbs (inside bulbs) as flash to pass only. If i push the stalk forward now, nothing happens. If I pull the stalk to me, the halogens still light up, which is what i do if i need high beams. Now, a few of our subscribers here have figured out programming. I know for sure that Tampa330 has figured this out and can reprogram the car to use the halogens for high beams when the stalk goes forward, but I have not met up with him to do it to my car.
    3. Autoleveling no longer enabled. I don't think auto level works with the new lights. Cant be sure, but I don't think it does. Needs more research on my end for definitive answer.
    Yeah, getting someone to program your car will solve issue #1.
    There are no leveling motors in your depos, so you'll never have that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    There are no leveling motors in your depos, so you'll never have that feature.

Yup, thats what I thought, but I didnt want to make a definitive statement without checking my facts again..

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast