Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AC and Serpentine Belt Diy doityourself

So....I looked through the diy section and didn't see a diy for belt replacement so I made one and decided to post if it would help someone...

THIS DIY IS FOR MECHANICAL SERPENTINE TENSIONER. SEE BELOW PIC. AC tensioner is mechanical as well.

Time elapsed...about 2 hours..taking my time and taking pics for the diy.

***As a side note....I recommend performing tensioner and deflection pulley changeout at this time also.

1) Gather tools and get parts.

TOOLS

PARTS (1 AC belt, and 1 Serpentine Belt for the water pump, PS, and alternator)

2) Remove interference to include:
    -Fan Shroud and fan.
    -Airbox (Intake air filter housing)
    -Plastic protective cover from underneathm of engine bay.

3) Remove AC Belt...
    ...by relaxing tension on AC pulley with a 5/8" socket and turning clockwise. This is the shorter of the two belts and is very easy to remove and install.

-There ya go.....AC belt removed.

3) Make a drawing or refer to these prior to removing serpentine belt. Also recognize that your car may have the upgraded hydraulic tensioner installed already. In order to relax the tension on this type pulley, you will have to use a socket, on the pulley bolt itself, vice the one indicated below. Please see pic below

4) Relax tension, as indicated above, and remove serpentine belt.

5) These are the wear differences between my AC belt and my serpentine belt. Glad I changed it when I did.

AC Belt

Serpentine Belt

6) Belt installation
    Once you have removed the belts just reinstall in reverse order and ensure the belts are properly seated. Obviously the serpentine belt must go on prior to installing the AC belt.
    Last edited by danewilson77; 11-03-2010 at 07:00 AM.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Very nice DIY, Dane.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    Very nice DIY, Dane.
    Thank you Godfather...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I pulled the idler pulley off first. Now, I can't get the tensioner of the accessory belt to release the tension. It looks like I have the hydraulic tensioners. According to the RealOEM, It looks like I need a hex bit to loosen the tensioner. It is supposed to turn counter clockwise to loosen it correct? Does anyone know what size that is?

Am I screwed?

Real OEM for my Car
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

For the Serp belt tensioner, put the torx bit, in the bolt, and turn clockwise to release tension.

Bolt looks like this...

E46 Serp Tensioner Bolt by Dane Wilson77, on Flickr

Sent from SIGFest 2012

Great, thanks Dane. I got the tension released successfully and can get the belts off. I would like to install new pulleys as well while I have the engine torn apart. How do I get them off? I've looked at a few different forums and videos, and no one has an example of removing the pulleys from a hydraulic tensioner.

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

To remove the pulley from the tensioner....you just turn the torx counter-clockwise (The same one you used to relax tension)

Thanks for your patience and guidance Dane, you're a stud. Sorry for my dumb questions. Now, after having done this I look forward to doing it again at 120,000 miles when I can breeze through it because I know what I am doing.

I have got everything off and will be ordering the following items to replace when I get my new alternator:

Idler Pulley - Part # 1128 1748 130
    Tensioner Pulley (x2) - Part # 1128 1748 131
    A/C Belt - Part # 1128 7512 762
    Accessory Belt - Part # 1128 1437 475

OK.....good deal. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    For the Serp belt tensioner, put the torx bit, in the bolt, and turn clockwise to release tension.

Bolt looks like this...

E46 Serp Tensioner Bolt by Dane Wilson77, on Flickr

Sent from SIGFest 2012
    Is that bolt for sale Dane? Cause I need a new one.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast