Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1hz "chirp" noise with Mediabridge

Hey all,

Posted this at e46fanatics, but wanted to try here as well since I've found this site to be a bit friendlier.

I've had a Dice Mediabridge in my '04 330ci for about a month now. Really liking it. Interface is great, functionality is great.

The only issue I have is that when listening to my iPhone via USB, there is a regular "chrip" noise. The "chirp" itself probably lasts 0.2 seconds or something like that and repeats at about a 1hz frequency. I.e you'll hear something like 60 chirps per minute. In between chirps, there is basically 0 noise in the system (no hiss or anything else like that). The chirp unaffected by road speed or engine speed (i.e. neither the frequency nor the volume changes).

Compared to the volume of the music, the chirp is pretty muted. So when listening to rock it's not terrible. But for classical or anything that has low-volume sections or pauses, it's pretty annoying to hear that chirp.

This noise is not present when listening to the radio.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Shot in the dark, but I had a similar interference issue with my blu tooth.

After a lot of narrowing down, it turned out to be the wireless function with the Droid X. Whenever it was searching for or picking up a wireless signal, I'd get the interference.

Started turning off the wireless when I got in the car and have never had the problem since.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

That is a great thought. I hadn't even thought about wireless interference. I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes. If anyone else has suggestions, toss them out there. I'm going to spend a couple hours trying to sort this out tonight and will let everyone know if any of these work.

spencers Guest
    Man, DICE still hasn't fixed their interference issues with their stuff? That's just sad.

Recall that the positive battery lead goes up the passenger side of the car. If you happened to follow the DIY's widely available out there, you likely ran the DICE cable up that way, assuming you bought the mediabridge that connects to the trunk. I've read about interference issues when run in close proximity to that wire. I had the same "chriping" issue with my DICE Silverline Pro, which I installed in the same fashion mentioned above. I ditched the piece of sheiBe for a USA-Spec PA-12. No problems since, and I ran it in the same fashion as mentioned above.

However if you have the mediabridge that connects directly to the deck (if such a product even exists), my guess is as good as yours.

Mine does indeed connect in the trunk, and my cable is run along the passenger side floorboards, so battery/electrical interference was one of the first thoughts I had as well. If the WiFi fix doesn't work, my next step will be putting the Dice (temporarily) loose on the rear seat and seeing if that makes any difference since that will keep all the wires several feet from the battery and its associated cabling. To be honest, though, I just wasn't sure how anything battery related could create an issue with this particular (1hz) frequency. I wouldn't expect that there are pulses of current moving around 1x/second in the car. But who knows? Will let you know.

spencers Guest
    Good idea! Yes I was going to suggest running the cable itself freely in the car to see if the issue resolves, but I forgot.

Perhaps the interference is coming from another module in the car.

I noticed the most interference when I had CD text enabled (show artist/song). Every time the text creeped across the LCD, the chirp would happen. I don't recall if disabling that feature solved the issue. Perhaps it made it less pronounced.

1Hz is a super deep bass tone so I'm assuming you mean "1kHz"?

Just as a reference, 1kHz is about what that test of the emergency broadcast system tone on your TV sounds like.

Think Keith and Spence have some good thoughts. Keep us posted. Been thinking about those kits to get an outside source hooked up to the business CD.

I remember using isolators in older cars to get rid of alternator whine in amplifiers. Assuming such a product that would fix this issue doesn't exist and isn't applicable in this case.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

I don't mean that the tone is at a 1hz pitch, I mean that the tone makes a noise 1x/second and repeats. Someone on another forum had a similar issue and recorded their sound:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22417/e46%20...20chirping.wav

Mine sounds similar. But while his seems to "chirp" about 2x/second (2hz) mine only chirps about half as frequently. Odds are, if you have any idea what his problem is, you also know what my problem is.

The more I think about it, the more I think (hope?) it's the WiFi interfering.

Re-wiring with a more shielded cable fixed my Dice interference issues.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast