Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Re-wiring with a more shielded cable fixed my Dice interference issues.
    Good info John. Thanks for stopping in.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

I tried disabling WiFi on my iPhone. It didn't eliminate the noise, but I think it may have lessened it. Hard to be sure. I think the comment about it being related to text scrolling is a very interesting one. The text updates on the screen are definitely one of the few things in my car that I would associate to a 1x/second update/cycle frequency. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Thanks very much to everyone for their help. Its much easier to tackle DIY's on this sort of thing when you know the community will help out if things don't turn out perfectly.

And the prize goes to Spencers! The chirp noise is happening exactly (and only) when the CD text readout is changing. I guess there is some interference between the wire that carries the data signal and the wires that carry the audio signal. That would completely explain why there is no chirp at all when on Aux mode or on Bluetooth mode since the screen is not updating at those times. I will try disabling the text-scroll option in USB mode to confirm all of this.

Now a question for those who know the guts of these systems: is it possible to shield the audio wires from the interference from the data wire? I worry that this would be a pain even if possible since the wires are all currently bundled in the black sheathing from Dice. But if it were possible, what would I use to wrap the two wire bundles to keep them from interfering with one another on the trip from the glovebox (Dice location) to the trunk (connection location).

Progress!

Glad you got it worked out.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

spencers Guest
    I've read where people have soldered something up to the wires; whether a resistor or isolator, I don't know. I'm on my phone, else I'd search and help you out.
    When I had my DICE system, I thought about soldering, as I do own a gun, but I opted to chunk the pile of crap. Too many problems. It bugs me that they still haven't fixed them.

I would think you'd be able to install shielded cables... but I don't know for sure. Any electrical, electronics, or EE types hanging around?

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

The thing is, you shouldn't have to do any of this. I personally would try to get it replaced under warranty and pray that you don't get another affected unit, which is likely.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Someone on e46 fanatics suggested that a headunit-wired rather than trunk-wired unit might not have this issue. Can anyone offer a data point before I call dice/eas?

Anyone here have the trunk connection *without* the clicking chirping even with text scrolling enabled?

Anyone here have the headunit connection *with* the clicking/chirping associated with text scrolling?

Lastly, anyone have experience with either dice or eas tech support and can offer a sense of how receptive they'd be to swapping out my module for a replacement in the hope of fixing this issue?

Thanks.

2004 E46 330ci ZHP Coupe | Mystic Blue/Black Leather

Quote Originally Posted by 2004_blue_zhp View Post
    Lastly, anyone have experience with either dice or eas tech support and can offer a sense of how receptive they'd be to swapping out my module for a replacement in the hope of fixing this issue?

Thanks.
    I wouldn't think they would give you a hard time about swapping it. Tons of people have had issues with DICE units so I would think they're used to it...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12