Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Exclamation ZKW Reflector Recall-Open NTHSA Investigation

As most of you know, and from what I gather through several internet sites in addition to my limited experience, the low beam reflectors on 2003-2004 ZKW HID headlights were made of some material that degraded when subjected to the heat produced by OEM Xenon bulbs. This results in a significant decrease in light output as the reflector became scorched. I don't know the exact ins and outs, but I would imagine that BMW and ZKW were and are aware of the defect as the newer, redesigned headlights do not suffer from this problem.

I called the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) out of curiosity to see if the problem had been noted and if there was anything in the works to fix the defective parts. The gentleman that I spoke with said that an investigation of the issue was opened in 2009, closed at one point, and has been reopened. I gave him my information, VIN, and a description of the problem and the affected cars, and he told me their engineering staff would be sending me their ongoing investigation report with a questionnaire of sorts for me to return.

He told me that the more people who report the issue, the greater the chance of some sort of recall. If you suffer from the headlight issue and have a few minutes to spare, please call the NHTSA at 888-327-4236 to report a vehicle defect. If you would rather not call, there is the option to fill out an online form. Go to http://www.nhtsa.gov/ and click the blue banner to the right "Report a Vehicle or Child Seat Defect," then choose to File an Online Form and go from there.

Thanks

Mount up, boys and girls.

Great info.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Now, for those of us that don't know what the headlights are supposed to look like, how would we test to see if we're affected? I personally have no idea how my car compares to a healthy set of ZKWs...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Let me ask a very basic question .... how does one identify / confirm the manufacturer ?

To check the manufacturer, look at the front plastic lens cover. In either the bottom left or right corner, mine say ZKW in small letters. I imagine that the other manufacturer, AL, will say AL, but I can't confirm this. It is also on the sticker on top of the light assembly, but it is likely blocked from view by the car's frame.

Checking to see if your headlights are affected can be done while the assemblies are in the car. Open your hood and remove the square rubber cap that sits behind the bulb. I have attached a picture of what my burnt reflector looks like from behind. It should be fairly obvious if yours is burnt or not.

Mine says AL. 2005 330ci ZHP.

I have sms. I reported this last year and had forgotten about it.

Good lookin out.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I have experienced this issue personally - as I understand it, all E46 ZKW zenons will likely have this issue eventually. Certainly a great deal of documentation in the forums and have seen firsthand on other similarly equipped E46s. 2004 330i ZHP sedan at 46K miles - I had LightWerkz perform the TFX retrofit in order to be able to drive the car at night as it was quite literally unsafe to drive. I chose to do the retrofit rather than dropping $1.2K on new OEM zenons with the KPD (known product defect). It's amazing to me that there has not been a recall or corrective action taken on this issue.

Justin
    Last edited by KC ZHP; 07-01-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Good stuff.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    Mine says AL. 2005 330ci ZHP.
    Mark, where exactly is the spot that says 'AL' on front lens cover?
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast