Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CSL trunk for sedan

Soo.....

Does anyone have one, how's it look and tell me about fitment. I love the style, but want oem like fitment and quality, I don't care about weight savings at all.

Recommendations appreciated!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
    Soo.....

Does anyone have one, how's it look and tell me about fitment. I love the style, but want oem like fitment and quality, I don't care about weight savings at all.

Recommendations appreciated!

Ian
    This would be good to know. I would entertain the idea as well...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

If a certain someone who shall remain nameless, would show up, he can guarantee fitment for sedan...ahem...shooting him a PM nao!
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

I would love a CSL trunk for my car.

Ian,

From what I have learned researching on this topic for my 323i sedan, no matter which CSL bootlid you get from various vendors, you will have to rework them to get the right fitment. The use of a dremel will be required to get the lock cylinder to fit properly, for example.

Vorsteiner used to make one for the sedan iirc...you can still order a CSL bootlid from ModBargains here at:

http://www.modbargains.com/_e/E46_Ex..._E46_Sedan.htm

This one is supposed to fit both pre-facelift and facelifted sedans. Pricing is listed at $545 for this item. It is not made by Vorsteiner but I think it's a Sibon make.

If done right I think they look good on the sedan. Hope this helps :

nike001 Guest
    I like them too but fitment and then getting it painted to look like it's been there for the 7+ years the car has been alive scares me.

I saw a sedan with one and it looked OK from afar, but once i got up to it to check it out....it was a train wreck. Not even worth having it if your trunk lights are crooked and the whole thing sits higher up from the rest of the body. :

Exactly nike....to make it look right it will take lots of work and adjustments.....for those who have to have it, it will be worth it in the end imho...

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    If a certain someone who shall remain nameless, would show up, he can guarantee fitment for sedan...ahem...shooting him a PM nao!
    My ears were ringing .

I'll chime in on this; I have had a CSL trunk on my E46 for quite some time now, and couldn't be happier with it. (Shout out to Rich McGlothlen at Authentic Refinishing for fitment and paint.) I understand that fitment is a huge concern in regards to a new part - especially something as large as a trunk; and it should be. However, you should understand before reading further, that fitment, like anything aftermarket, is not guaranteed. I have seen many Vorsteiner trunks/hoods/etc not fitting as well as my cheap one ($400 + $100 IIRC from Khoalty). My particular trunk required no dremeling whatsoever, sans a tiny, tiny bit getting the locking mech. seated nicely. With that said, here are some pictures of the fitment. If you would like me to take a picture at a certain angle or something, please let me know and I'd be happy to oblige.

One trunk shock is used (passenger side), which is the reason for the right side of the trunk sitting higher, and not flush with the body of the vehicle. This is also the reason why the passenger side tails do not line up properly, and are off by approximately .75mm. This could be remedied by removing the remaining trunk shock. It's not reccomended that you use two trunk shocks, as the CF flexs and bows. It was also near impossible for me to even close it with both shocks on.

The 'off' side.

You can see here the trunk is 'sucked in' about .5mm from being flush with the tail light. This is only an issue on the driver's side. The passenger side sits fine.

You can see the roundel sits very nicely. A little heat and double sided taped was required to help it sit flush with the curvature of the bootlid.

Stitch my wings, and pull the strings, I bought these dreams, that all fall down.

Guys, thanks for the responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch40t1c View Post
    My ears were ringing .
    So which brand CSL trunk do you have? I was thinking some low pressure struts might allow you to have both so it closes evenly. To me, the fitment looks pretty good.

Thanks again for the responses. I love the look!

Ian

he said that he got his from Khoalty.com. Here is the link.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast