Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Paint Improvement and Repair

Coming most recently from a 4x4, offroad, hunting, camping vehicle, I haven't really paid much attention to the world of detailing and paint protection. I owned my Xterra for 10 years and never once put a coat of wax on it. I kept in the garage at home and work, and when I sold it the paint was pretty decent. Or so I thought.

I'm learning a lot (maybe too much) from this site about maintaining and improving the paint, as I am much more concerned about keeping this car looking spectacular. For a 7-year-old car I think it looks fantastic, but I know there are some blemishes, and I'd love some advice on how to tackle each of them.

#1 - The Hood Zit

I have no idea what caused this, but it was the biggest defect I first noticed when I went to buy the car. Something had eaten through the clearcoat here and has not been addressed. I'd love to know how to get rid of this myself, but I'm afraid it might need professional work. As you can see in the reflection:

#2 - Swirlies

I realize this can be corrected with hours of polishing. My question is - if I wash and dry, then clay bar the car and follow it up with a nice sealant and finish it all off with a decent wax, will this be as noticeable? There are also some light scratches (white, but not noticeable with a fingernail) here and there along the paint. Can these be lessened by this same strategy?

#3 - Curb-Checked Front Bumper

Not only is most of the underside of this panel scratched all to hell from concrete contact, there is also the unsightly scratch on the side. This is all past the paint and into the plastic(?) so I'm thinking it's beyond my DIY help, but I'd like to hear some thoughts.

#4 - Rear Bumper Bumps

It looks like someone bumped up against the bumper with a front license plate, most likely in a parallel parking situation. Again this is down into the plastic.

I love this car, but I simply do not have the time to stay on someone like M0nk3y's stringent paint care schedule. Way too many other hobbies. I'd love to hear how others keep their cars looking their best without making it a part-time job.

Thanks, y'all!

Jason | 2004 BMW 330i ZHP | 6 Speed Manual | Imola Red | Natural Brown | BBS Style 197s | Awesomeness

Interesting... I have a "zit" just under the driver's door mirror. When I had a PPI done, the mechanic thought it was bird crap sitting on the paint too long. I dunno. Adam's polishes has a swirl remover product... I've been using Liquid Glass on mine... Seems to look good enough for my standards - take that however you want.

In Austin, there is a place called BumpersRX.com. I had them refinish the headlights on my first BMW. They also do touchup work and could probably smooth and shoot the front bumper...
    ------
    A Venza just isn't the same as a ZHP.

It's a tough proposition on an older car. I just finished a 3 day marathon of claying/compounding/polishing/finishing/sealing. But yet, the divots and deeper scratches remain. Not much you can do on a daily driver. Given your other hobbies, I would be hard pressed to suggest washing it every weekend and maintaining the paint the way it should be.

That being said, you can do a lot of correction on a car and get it in MUCH better shape. Then, you have to decide whether or not you want to maintain it in that condition. There has to be a compromise somewhere.

From what you said, a religious program of washing/polishing/detailing is not realistic.

If I were you, I would pay a professional to get it back into shape and then maintain it how you normally do. IMHO, the best thing for a car is being kept in a garage at home and at work.

You could re-paint, but again, on a daily driver, your heart will break the second you see another chip.

Before you embark on a part-time job of detailing your car and the considerable cost that it will take, spend a while on some of the detailing forums and see what other people do. It will give you an idea of what you might be getting yourself into. I know, because I did the same thing!!!

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Thanks guys. I'd be curious what it would cost to get the bumper resprayed.

Johnny, you make great points. I have been perusing the detail sites, which has made me realize that while possible, it takes a large amount of time and money to maintain the show car look, and that certainly isn't feasible for me. I just want to do my best to not let the car get worse.

I'd be curious to hear the hard-core DIY detailers' opinions on how they would address each of my issues themselves.

Out of curiosity, how much would an average detailing (including some good polishing and correction) run? I've been amazed with the Detailers Domain's threads, but I have no price reference. $500? $1000? more?

Jason | 2004 BMW 330i ZHP | 6 Speed Manual | Imola Red | Natural Brown | BBS Style 197s | Awesomeness

About $400-$500 for a bumper respray. That's standard.

$400 for me a few months ago.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

A run of the mill detail (clay/polish/wax) will run anywhere from about $250-$400. It's worth the money if you don't have the time/place/stamina/experience.

Most of the problems you have can be taken care of with a regular detail. It's tough to tell on the hood-zit you have. If that is down into the base primer, then, you are stuck with it. Or, it can be covered with a respray. The other issues are into the bumper and will require much more dramatic measures (expensive).

One thing about bumpers-after they have been painted, they are prone to chipping/peeling etc as the paint isn't quite the same as what they can do at the factory. (That's been my experience anyway).

As a side note-Correcting your paint from scratches, swirls, water spots and bird droppings will require polishing or finely sanding away the defects in the clear coat (or into the paint depending on how bad it is). Once the paint is mirror smooth, a protectant is required. As far as whether you go with a wax, glaze, sealant etc, is totally dependent upon how you want to maintain the paint. Waxes will NOT last forever. They will wear away in only a few months. So, you will need to wax again. IMHO, Imola is best with a good wax. A sealant/glaze may last a little longer and help a little better with protection. But, they look a little different. Not worse, just different. Boils down to your opinion of which you like better. I like the wax personally. But, others like sealants/glazes. No wrong answer.

The biggest thing to remember is that the preparation is key. As long as you do a good job on the clay/compound/polish stages, you'll end up with a great looking car.

I know this is A LOT of information right now, especially since you've been perusing the detailing sites. Take your time. If you want, you can put a coat of wax to protect the paint for the next few months until you decide. No harm, no foul.

Don't get caught up in the my polish/wax etc works better than your polish/wax debate. Any good quality polish/wax/sealant/glaze will be fine. Again, preparation and maintenance are key.

Once you've done this part, then the important part is keeping your car clean and using a good method to washing. Spend some extra money on the good microfiber towels and that will help you keep the scratches to a minimum.

Hang in there and congratz on a gorgeous car! I still get compliments on my car!

Johnny

P.S. Another thing, a basic detailing kit (polisher machine, polishing pads, polish, wax, microfiber towels etc) can run into the $200-$250 range IIRC. If you have someone near you who is into detailing, perhaps you can lend a hand while he polishes your car (or someone elses) so that you get a feel for the process, amount of work and types of products out there.
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Wow, Johnny, great insight!

Let me clarify - I'm certainly willing to do as much as possible on my own. I think these are valuable skills that once I learn, I can use from here on out. My schedule is hectic, so I don't plan on spending every weekend in the garage, but I am completely open to, say, buying a PC polisher and learning to do some correcting, assuming I can get away with only doing it once or twice a year with regular washing and waxing.

The zit is down into the paint. How far, I have no idea, but you can certainly feel the texture with your finger. I was wondering if something along the lines of the Dr Color Chip would work on fixing it.

I just brought my car to a reputable body shop for some insight on similar issues. What he said is making me rethink getting the job done. He said the color match is no guarantee and that to do the work then continue driving the car as I do (every day, highway), is almost pointless.
    - Marc

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    I just brought my car to a reputable body shop for some insight on similar issues. What he said is making me rethink getting the job done. He said the color match is no guarantee and that to do the work then continue driving the car as I do (every day, highway), is almost pointless.
    I agree. At that point it really becomes more of a refresh -- but understanding that you'd have to do it again and again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast