Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please Critique my Lines!

I'm posting this because I know alot of people here autocross and track. I've always wanted help and I want to improve and become a better driver. I can provide a paint drawing of the course map if you need it to better comprehend the video.

I'm posting my clean fastest run and my fastest run +1 cone (that I barely nipped mind you).

I need to shave time and the only way I think I can do that is improve my lines. I know they aren't perfect, and I want to change them now before I get into a bad habit.

Best Clean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGLMK14UEdk

Best + Cone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnjKv5_WxPU

I want suggestions and critiques. Please don't hold back
    Last edited by M0nk3y; 07-07-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

HA, I thought you meant pickup lines for the barscene.

I noticed a fair bit of uncertainty. How many times did you walk the course?
    Also, on the slaloms, I've always been told to be facing the direction you want to go by the time you pass a cone. I notice there were times when you were still facing the opposite direction of where you want to go when you were passing the cone. Along the same lines, they told me to get my turning done before I pass the cone instead of as I'm passing it so I could carry more speed through the slalom.

I saw a few areas where I thought you were coasting. I've had a couple of people comment on me when I used to coast and told me it was bad, and that you should use the throttle to help turn the car instead of scrubbing off speed. Scrubbing off speed just kind of agitates understeer in some cases and doesn't help you set up for the next turn or get the existing one right. I've had really good people drive my car, and the consistent thing I noticed is that they all used the throttle to steer the car. Weight transfer plays a big role here; they get the weight where they want it to be before the turn and then use the throttle to control the grip.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I noticed a fair bit of uncertainty. How many times did you walk the course?
    Also, on the slaloms, I've always been told to be facing the direction you want to go by the time you pass a cone. I notice there were times when you were still facing the opposite direction of where you want to go when you were passing the cone. Along the same lines, they told me to get my turning done before I pass the cone instead of as I'm passing it so I could carry more speed through the slalom.

I saw a few areas where I thought you were coasting. I've had a couple of people comment on me when I used to coast and told me it was bad, and that you should use the throttle to help turn the car instead of scrubbing off speed. Scrubbing off speed just kind of agitates understeer in some cases and doesn't help you set up for the next turn or get the existing one right. I've had really good people drive my car, and the consistent thing I noticed is that they all used the throttle to steer the car. Weight transfer plays a big role here; they get the weight where they want it to be before the turn and then use the throttle to control the grip.
    Thanks for the suggestions...what do you mean when you say uncertainty? I walked the course 4 times.

Ill try to get a course map up later. There was alit of decreasing radius turns that may make it look like that?

Anyways, I heard the same thing for slaloms as.well. I tired doing that for ne the first time with this car and I murdered cones left and right. This car turns on the rear wheels...literally.

Since there is no backend, that us where it pivots. So I have to turn later than usual to avoid the rear wheel hitting the cone...

I still have to find a way to get that mentality with my car and make it work.

I did coast or go easy in some sections because I oversteered heavy the prior run...thanks fir the comment though on the throttle throughout the turn.

Keep the suggestions coming

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

spencers Guest
    WOW Talk about a technical course!!!!!

Use throttle to help weight transfer in the first slalom and the slalom you hit at 1min mark on the first video. I was taught to apply throttle as you pass each cone to help point the car where you want to go. Throttle, let off, throttle, let off....

The curves you hit at the 1:30 mark are exactly how you need to attack that course.

Did you ride with anyone else on the course?

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    WOW Talk about a technical course!!!!!

Use throttle to help weight transfer in the first slalom and the slalom you hit at 1min mark on the first video. I was taught to apply throttle as you pass each cone to help point the car where you want to go. Throttle, let off, throttle, let off....

The curves you hit at the 1:30 mark are exactly how you need to attack that course.

Did you ride with anyone else on the course?
    See, I was told to always apply a constant steady throttle through slaloms. But that was when I was starting and maybe that was the dumb down version?

I couldn't ride with anyone due to it being a special Contest Points Event. Anyone that was driving wasn't allowed competition ride-alongs.

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    See, I was told to always apply a constant steady throttle through slaloms. But that was when I was starting and maybe that was the dumb down version?

I couldn't ride with anyone due to it being a special Contest Points Event. Anyone that was driving wasn't allowed competition ride-alongs.
    I've heard that from a couple of people as well, but I don't know how good they really were. All of the professionals that rode along with me used the throttle judciously in the slalom to get the car to do what they wanted instead of keeping it constant.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

I've heard that from a couple of people as well, but I don't know how good they really were. All of the professionals that rode along with me used the throttle judciously in the slalom to get the car to do what they wanted instead of keeping it constant.
    It was a friend that drives a E36 M3 on Hoosiers in BSP that goes to Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    It was a friend that drives a E36 M3 on Hoosiers in BSP that goes to Nationals.
    Keep in mind, it might also come down to it just being a different car that requires different tactics. Has this friend driven your car? If not, he might just be telling you what works for him in his car. Yours may be different...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Keep in mind, it might also come down to it just being a different car that requires different tactics. Has this friend driven your car? If not, he might just be telling you what works for him in his car. Yours may be different...
    He drove my E46 and understeered the living crap out of it.

I'll try the throttle on/off through the slalom though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast