Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY - DIS VANOS test plan doityourself

Start by connecting to your vehicle and entering the DME (highlight and let DIS perform a short test) then you will be able to proceed to the next screen and allow you to click function selection once there Follow the steps in the picture below.The VANOS test within DIS is accessed by following the pictures.

Once you have made your selections; simply click test plan and follow the steps given by DIS to get your VANOS tested!

Also, there might be slight differences in naming for cars fitted with MS45 DME's but it should be easy to know what to look for now. The M3's have a completely different function selection screen.

The test checks wether the valve can reach full retard and full advance positions, if it can hold a position (leak down test) and also test how fast it reacts to changes and if it's within specs.
    Last edited by VA//M3; 07-08-2011 at 07:32 PM.

I been waiting for this one. This is huge if it actually yields useful data.

Thanks for heading this up.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I been waiting for this one. This is huge if it actually yields useful data.

Thanks for heading this up.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    NP,

Boss!

spencers Guest
    I'll have to give this a shot

Has anyone given this a try?

spencers Guest
    Not yet. I keep forgetting!

Why haven't you?

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    Not yet. I keep forgetting!

Why haven't you?
    I have

Just ran the VANOS test, & DIS reported no errors for both intake & exhaust. Not too terribly helpful in diagnosing the state of my VANOS, but perhaps a more degraded unit would flag something in the test? I'm still doing the Beisan seals kit . . .

Note: my car had both MS43 & MS45 modules available, but the MS43 errored out on me during the test. It would seem that ZHPs need to use the MS45 module options.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
    Just ran the VANOS test, & DIS reported no errors for both intake & exhaust. Not too terribly helpful in diagnosing the state of my VANOS, but perhaps a more degraded unit would flag something in the test? I'm still doing the Beisan seals kit . . .

Note: my car had both MS43 & MS45 modules available, but the MS43 errored out on me during the test. It would seem that ZHPs need to use the MS45 module options.
    The VANOS test is rather lax when deciding whether to pass or fail the VANOS. I would get a hold of rajae, A properly running VANOS should be at or under a certian response time, etc. ZHP's do in fact use the MS45.1 ROW non ZHP e46's all used the MS43.

My Indy has the Autologic computer and he said that he's run a Vanos test for me for free. Anyone ever had this done? Is it similar to what you're talking about in this thread?

Edit update: He hooked up the computer and turns out it didn't have a test for my car.
    Last edited by johnrando; 01-21-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast