Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

BMW E46 Expansion tank Replacement doityourself

I'll post up photos and more details later.

Wanted to offer up a suggestion that proved invaluable when changing out the expansion tank on the ZHP this past weekend. I did a cooling system overhaul (hoses, etc.) plus belts, pulleys, spark plugs.....It was a good time!

What was not a good time, however, was removing the expansion tank. We could not get the tank removed while it was still attached to the radiator. Both the Bentley and the factory service manuals say you can remove the tank while it is attached.

What we ended up doing was removing the bracket with the tank still attached. Once the tank was out of the car, it was simple work to get it removed.

I'll post up more photos and details later - just wanted to get this out there in case anyone else was struggling with their expansion tank. I didn't find much while searching Saturday....
    - now with 5 speeds

Any follow up on this? My new expansion tank will arrive tomorrow.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

shoot - thank you for reminding me.....i totally forgot.

the big piece of advice here is that we found it much easier to remove the bracket to which the expansion tank is connected. when you have the whole thing out of the car, it's much easier to remove.

here's a photo of the bracket removed - the expansion tank has already been removed. the little blue bit at the bottom of the photo is the bottom of the expansion tank.

i can send you a larger photo if necessary. the bracket is held in by at least one screw (as I recall). for the most part, the bracket is simply clipped in place.

another photo from ECS.....

- now with 5 speeds

Mmmm....great data.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim