Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

ATL ZHP - A TiAg Owner's Chronicle

Hello all!!

You may have seen me trolling the for sale forum for the last few weeks.

My previous BMWs include an Estoril on Dove E36M (no pics)

an Arctic on Black E36M:

And a Lachsilber on Black E30 325is:

After a LONG hunt, I've finally made it to ranks of ZHP ownership. Check out the created date on my AutoTrader saved search:

I was pretty set on a SilverGray, but Jason posted his Titanium Silver 04 for sale here on ZHP Mafia on June 26th. The car had an immaculately maintained history with full records, was a one owner, and looked to be in phenomenal shape. These pros were enough to sway me to a TiAg and I went for it.

Basics on the car:
    2004 ZHP
    Titanium Silver
    Alcanatara, Black Cube, Sunroof, Cold Wx, Sirius, Bi-Xenons, HomeLink, HK
    110,000 miles, Maintained with Old-School MX
    Bone stock
    Full records for all MX, window sticker too

Jason’s FS pics:

Flew up last Thursday night and met Jason Friday morning. We exchanged funds for title and went to the DMV. Jason was a good enough guy to stick around with me at the DMV for 2 hours to get the whole transaction completed. A set of temp tags and $20 to uncle Connecticut, I was on my way back to Atlanta.

I overnighted in Waynesboro, VA. Some of you may know; this is the city just to the west of the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I got up at 5:45 Saturday morning, ate my "buffet" breakfast and was on the Parkway by 6:30AM. What did this mean? Ghost town. Oh, and fog. A lot. Of. Fog.

Mile Marker 60 (I got on at MM0):

Cruised the Parkway for 60 miles. Saw 4 other cars (all going the other direction), 5 deer, a turkey, and 8 cyclists….and that’s literally it. Perhaps not as much a “Driver’s” road as I expected, but simply stunning nevertheless. Glad I added it to the trip. Got back on 81 on the other side of Glasgow VA and made my way to Atlanta…with a quick stop at the Zentrum. :

All in all, put exactly 1,000 miles on the car. Clicked over 1,000 literally as I pulled into my subdivision. The car was a blast. So smooth, quiet, strong, nimble; basically a fantastic cocktail of sport blended with lux. This is what I read about the ZHP, what made me dead set on owning one, and I’m glad it has turned out to be true.

I’d like this thread to serve as a logbook for my work on the car, including maintenance, mild mods, and hopefully give some experience back to the ZHP Mafia community. I’m a pretty handy DIYer and hopefully I can document my work well enough to give some knowledge back this forum that has already helped me a great deal.

To start off the repairs and mods (a very quick and dirty bit on each):

Idle Stumble: The car developed a slight stumble when revving off of idle in the last 20 or 30 miles of the trip. Ambient temps were in the high 90s with humidity in the 80s and the car had been heat soaked for hours – not that this should ever matter. I replaced the very dirty and grimy K&N filter with a paper Purolator (for now) and used MAF cleaner on the MAF. So far so good. Will likely stick with paper but move to a Mahle when I get a chance to place my first big Pelican Parts order.

Aux Input: Bought BMW’s aux input. Took me maybe 15 minutes to install. Pop the glovebox trim off (with plastic trim tool to avoid marring), then the radio trim. 2 Phillip’s screws, pop the radio out. Remove the connector at the rear, slide out the blue retaining clip, and add the aux input connector. Route the cable to the spot of your choice; I went with the upper right corner of the middle console bin. Still need to pick up a 3.5mm M/M cord. Once connected, the radio automatically adds the source to your “Mode” list; I now have AM/FM, Disc, Disc Changer, Sirius, AUX.

Shift Knob: Replaced the worn original knob with another OEM ZHP knob. What else? This is the best knob on the market, bar none. Am considering a rebuild of the linkage; it’s a bit sloppy.

Posts/work to come soon:
    Lighting: Original ZKW 2003 build year driver’s Xenon has zero light output. It turns on, but looks like a cataract. Replacement OEM ZKW 2005 build year Pax light has orange glow at periphery of output pattern. Suspected & confirmed severely burned bowls on both. Hopefully this is the extent of the problem. Solution has shipped, I will document all my work and post it up here.

Exterior Trim: Ordered replacement front bumper center moulding. GA requires no front plate; I ordered a plain and also a Euro plate strip. I was born in Germany and spent several years of my life living there, so I might rock a German plate as a bit of a throwback. Can’t decide if I want a Munich plate as homage to BMW, or perhaps my family’s hometown as something more personal. I’m going to go with the plain center moulding until I make up my mind.

Exterior Trim: Ordered Khoalty black kidneys. The original chrome kidneys are cracked and barely hanging on. Going to try the flat black look.

MX: Expansion tank, belts, idlers ASAP. Rest as per OSM.

Also got a new BMWCCA membership and joined the ZHPMafia SIG too.

Anyway, sorry for the marathon! Hope yall enjoy - I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone around here better.

-Paul

Congrats on the purchase. Looking forward to reading more about your car.

Congrats!

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Great read. Thanks!
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Excellent. Cant wait to read more...and if you took the parkway the whole way, you came right by me!
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Great stuff, Paul. We are one step closer to a Georgia meet!
    -ADAM

Congrats on the car! Those are some great pics on the parkway. I like the one with the clouds in the valley...
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Thanks all for the kind words. Alphatek....we're not too far apart. How many other local members are there?

This afternoon I picked up a handful of detail products. I've tried a couple different products here and there with the Ms and 325, so I picked and chose and also took some recommendations from paint correction threads here and on E46F.

What I picked up today from AutoGeek and Detailer's Domain:

Hands off first rinse:
    Autogeek's Quart Foammaster Foam Gun
    DP Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo

Hands on second wash:
    lambswool mitt
    P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo

Wheels:
    SONAX Wheel Cleaner
    Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush
    Clean Wheel Lug Nut Brush

Drying:
    P21S Drying Towel

Interior:
    Carrand 2 in 1 Electrostatic Detail Brush
    303 (what else)

Engine compartment:
    Adam's All Purpose
    Couple brushes

Glass:
    Stoner's

Plus a few microfibers, towels, etc.

As far as polishes/sealants/glazes/waxes go, haven't made up my mind yet. I'm leaning towards Klasse AIO, Klasse Glaze, and P21S Carnuba as a final step. Used zymol, mothers, and meguiars products in the past and never really had any complaints. This paint is in pretty good shape for my standards and uses (and was maintained yearly with Klasse) so Klasse and P21S should probably do the trick for at least some time.

Few questions for the masses...

- My driver's window makes a screeching noise when you first move it off the seals, maybe the first 1/4" of travel. Sounds like if you dragged your hand on a clean sheet of glass kind of screeching noise. Rest is smooth quick and silent. Is there a way to "lube" window seals in a way that won't get on the glass itself?

- Tint. I want to tint the car badly. In the south it is a must-have, but I'm worried about a good job on the dot matrix. There is a Very highly recommended local guy right by work that uses F1 film. I'm leaning towards 35% film all around. Thoughts? Cautions?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast