Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steptronic question

I searched around a bit and didn't find anything, so forgive me if this is addressed elsewhere:

Is the ZHP's steptronic unit the same as can be found in normal 3-series cars?

The reason I ask is because I'd like to get a feel for it to decide whether I'd like it (I fear I've been spoiled by manually shifting the DSG in my VW) and there are a few run of the mill e46's in my area that I could test drive, but no ZHPs.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

I've never heard anything stated about the STEP being different, but that's certainly not the definitive answer. What backs that up is if you look in the FAQ and it talks about the ZHP package, and it says nothing about the STEP.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Thanks, John, that's what I figured. Lack of evidence to the contrary.

I'm at the point in my car search where I need to start thinking about options that are expendable in order to find the right car for me, and I'm not so sure I want to deal with driving stick after I move back to Augusta, Georgia, next month. The traffic really is awful and I'd spend Mon-Fri regretting stick. So who knows.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

It's my understanding that the Step in the ZHP is the same as other E46 vehicles. If there is any difference, it's in the software, which allows it to hit 6800 RPM. However, I've seen others (on the Internet) say that, even when they try, there is no way to hit the redline (6800) with a ZHP Step. It always shifts before that.

it will not be like your DSG - that's for sure. I've driven both and the DSG was pretty outstanding.

The automatic in the e90 and 1 series is quite nice - the DCT (double-clutch) in the new M3 is awesome!
    not relevant, but BMW did at least learn from SMG and made improvements.

good luck on your search!
    - now with 5 speeds

Certainly try it out. I really don't like it much because it's so far away from a manual feel. Just too much lag. I've driven other STEPS that feel much more responsive. Still, if you have to have AUTO for certain reasons like myself, a STEP is better than nothing.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

That depends, there were two types of autos used on the E46 the GM Auto and the ZF auto. I hope that the zhp's got the GM auto......please hope so too!

All xi models got the A5S-390R which was a GM auto. The A5S-360R was a GM auto also but used in the regular non AWD E46's. Then ZF's ( which have the reverse drum issue ) were thrown around in the mix at the 328's and 330's from what I have read and the 323's and 325's were said to get th GM autos but this has been proven otherwise against the vin decoder. So basically unless you get under the car and look for your self at the tag you won't really know.

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to sheet his pant's." Enzo Ferrari

I can hit the redline in my auto. But, it really lags in "manual" mode. Takes about 1 full second to respond to your "shift". It is not a bad auto, but dont be fooled that is is an "auto-manual" i never really use the manual mode...it holds shift points really well in auto mode. Actually, when i do use the manual part of it, I am usually shifting it out of 2cnd or third, and into 4th or 5th, because its hanging out at 3500rpms waiting for me to stomp on it.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

330's (non-xi) up to 03/03 had the A5S325Z transmission, and ones after 03/03 had the A5S390R tranny. The model #'s suggest ZF manufacture, but oddly enough I don't see any GM's listed in the table in the Bentley and we know for a fact some were GM's...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

During those years, then, there were two transmission numbers. But as to ZHP v. non-ZHP, there is no difference? The only thing that changes the transmission number is the production dates?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast