Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs

Spark plugs

so I changed mine out today (61K on my car), went with the NGK BKR6EQUP because the Bosch FGR7DQP seem to have a smaller center point and I thought they might work out better. I could have got the OE ones with the BMW stamp on them from the dealer for $15 but I dont care that much so I just got them from the parts store for $9.

weird thing I realized when I was done... whoever put my car together at the factory didn't seem to be real consistent when installing the plugs. I had 2 NGK's and 4 Bosch's

The only way I could see two spark plugs being different possible is if a PO replaced two of them for whatever reason, or they were replaced under warranty when the car was relatively new and they didn't have that same part # available at the time...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Is there any difference with using different brands of spark plugs? I don't know much about spark plugs...
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Should use bkr6equp. Should use all the same.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Believe it or not there is, even though it's such a basic item. The electrical characteristics of the plugs can slightly vary between brands. Additionally the actual geometry of the electrodes can make slight differences in the spark timing relative to when the firing voltage is applied to the plug. The problem with mixing them together is that the engine adjusts spark timing across all cylinders as a whole and not by individual cylinder, so it will have to use the best common denominator which might not be as effective as having the same brand across all. All this is a bit academic though, honestly, I don't know if you would see a "real" difference if you had the car on a dyno.
    2004 ZHP * IMOLAROT II * OEM Clears * ///M Strut * CoolantSnitch

my thoughts exactly when I pulled them out, was surprised to see both OE kinds of plugs

Bringing back an oldie. I have my plugs ready. I noticed that there is a cover that goes back to the firewall. Would replacing the plugs way in the back reacheable? I still have not removed the cover so I still have not seen the accesability of the plugs in the back.....any problems there? Thanks
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

The microfilter housing? It just has a few torx that hold it in. No prob after that

Quote Originally Posted by das boots View Post
    Bringing back an oldie. I have my plugs ready. I noticed that there is a cover that goes back to the firewall. Would replacing the plugs way in the back reacheable? I still have not removed the cover so I still have not seen the accesability of the plugs in the back.....any problems there? Thanks
    Look for the DIY in my stickied section.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Autozone.com
    Speaking of Microfilter Housing, anybody have the P/N for this? Never mind..I found it as Windshield Cowl. The leading edge of the housing to the winshield is all worn down by the sun.
    Last edited by das boots; 09-23-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast