Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BMW 330i ZHP Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Information and Discussion

I. Background: This information is only provided because I am researching a current issue. As many of you know....I ran over a log (front right side) that took out my control arm, brake duct pork chop...etc. I currently have the DCS and brake light in.

I have replaced front/rear suspension (coilovers), CAB's, endlinks, Sway bar, and front right wheel speed sensor.

I noticed today....that my steering wheel is off approximately 3 degrees from center when driving straight. Yeah...I can't believe I just noticed. I must have been driving around with my HIMA for the last few weeks.

I am running out of parts to replace.....so......I think my best course of action is:

1. Get the ABS codes read (I hate to pony up over $100.00 to have shop read this(5 mins))....and find out what it's tripping on. Or.....just skip straight to 2. below.
    2. Dependant upon that....I think an alignment may clear up the whole issue...based upon what I have read. for instance.
    http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=815226
    3. If that does not fix the issue, I may need to replace steering wheel angle sensor, or ABS module(based upon outcome of 1. above)?
    4. Request anyones input, that is willing to provide.

II. Location: PC 16

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...43&hg=32&fg=30

III. Approximate price: $230ish
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/32306793632/ES260287/
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214672

IV. What activates it: Anyone know what the tech spec is?

V. DIY:

Actual Procedure - Post #2
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=536176

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1601458
    ***Looks like a re-code is necessary after replacement.

VI. Other interesting links:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ome_toe_in.htm

M5...but reaffirms calibration necessity.
    http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...le-sensor.html
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

What I really want to do...is diy this. I want to...

1. Ensure steering wheel is straight.

2. Lift front end.

3. Ensure steering wheel is straight.

4. Adjust tie rods.

Anyone see an issue with this. I already believe my alignement is out...so...what can I hurt (besides make it worse)?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Did you see the link to more info in the sig of post #5 of the e46fan thread you mentioned above? Sounds like he knows what he's talking about and apparently has the credentials to back it up.

Thanks Aurelius. I will look at that post.

I lifted the front end this afternoon (after making sure the steering wheel was perfectly straight), and took some critical measurements. Prior to lifting...it looked like the front right wheel was pushed in a tad. So...the measurements underneath told me that the right front wheel was pushed in about 1/8". Can I see that with the naked eye (prior to lifting)? IDK?

So...anyway....I adjusted the tie-rod and took the 1/8" out.....and my car nearly drives straight, with the steering wheel straight. It may still be <1 degree off center but it is so much better.

Car actually rides better as well.

I know I'm in sketchy territory here....but I am just seeing if I can get the DSC and brake light to secure. My safety inspection is due in July. I am not above putting hockey tape in my instrument cluster to block the lights (I did this to get rid of SRS airbag light caused by faulty passenger seat occupancy sensor)....but it doesn't fix the problem.

Does anyone know approximately how many miles it takes for the wheel speed sensor to calibrate itself? Thanks for any help here.

Update: I am the poop. DSC and brake lights are off. Ride is squared away once more.

Data point. Just because you have DSC light and brake light on, doesn't mean a sensor (wheel speed or steering angle sensor) has failed. It could mean the sensors are actually doing their job. In this case I believe the steering angle sensor was giving me the fault due to right side alignment being out of tolerance.

Clearance of fault: it took about a day, 20 miles driven, and one cycle of car - on - off - on.

Good day.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Whoa...definitely thread worthy over on E46F, as everyone is a prick when this kind of thing happens, as it could be many things...

Excelent work, Dane. I'm promoting you to lead detective

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Update: I am the poop. DSC and brake lights are off. Ride is squared away once more.

Data point. Just because you have DSC light and brake light on, doesn't mean a sensor (wheel speed or steering angle sensor) has failed. It could mean the sensors are actually doing their job. In this case I believe the steering angle sensor was giving me the fault due to right side alignment being out of tolerance.

Clearance of fault: it took about a day, 20 miles driven, and one cycle of car - on - off - on.

Good day.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Outstanding trouble shooting, DW.

Great werk!
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Outstanding trouble shooting, DW.

Great werk!
    Thanks KG. Sometimes tenacity is key.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Nice work...............I am sure many will use this!. I had a similar situation. My previous car had not been aligned in 8 years. So I get a alignment, and now the car tracks hard left under braking. Friend of mine with a Mustang (gotta luv em!) says lets just make the tie rods even, ( when looking at front you could see a obvious difference) and guess what? Car tracks perfectly strait under hard braking and acceleration. Moral of story, sometimes we can repair very complicated items ourselves.

Gary
    2004 ZHP Coupe TiAg 6mt
    "I never said it was special"

Nice job Dane! I bet that felt good to see that light go off. Neither of the 2 options, steering angle sensor or ABS module, sounds easy or cheap to fix since both probably would have meant a dealer visit for coding at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast