Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How well do we track?

I was wandering how well our cars tracked?

For example if I put proper suspension kit on and proper tire etc the whole works but no real major engine mods like f/i just basic there can our cars keep up with the likes of let's say e55 amg?

Does some1 have experience with this? and I don't mean autox.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I know that Jeff tracks his ZHP. He's quite an excellent driver from what I understand. Jeff, you around?

Our cars are quite capable on the track. With coilovers, camber plates, sway bars, some other misc. suspension work, a square tire setup with GOOD tires and you should be pretty competitive. Headers, intake, tune, and a custom better flowing (and lighter) exhaust should net you about 25-30hp. You will certainly out-handle any E55. You should be nearly as quick in a straight line as a W210 E55 although the newer generation will pull you pretty good. Regardless, you should beat the W210 on a track and be pretty even with the newer body. Mercedes-Benz's are meant more for straight-line power than handling (big and heavy). I would recommend either 17" or 18" and 8.5" or 9" in width (Look into APEX ARC-8's). A square 245 will work with stock suspension and should be fine with coilovers as well. Any bigger, you may have to roll fenders, etc. PLEASE take note our cars DO NOT like to rev over 6k RPM's. With the tune, please avoid running the RPM's higher than stock ZHP (6800). If you want higher RPM's, look into a solution for the oil pump nut and an ATI Damper - otherwise, your engine may go bye-bye. Good luck!

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

Ty. Though I may not get as far as the car you described. The question was more for the know and you answered above and beyond what I was expecting thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPillows View Post
    Ty. Though I may not get as far as the car you described. The question was more for the know and you answered above and beyond what I was expecting thank you.

Well, to be honest you don't need everything I stated. The most important thing, in my opinion, is dedicated wheels/tires. Look into some light wheels with good tires (245/40/18 Hankook Ventus R-S3's are cheap) and you'll already be way ahead of where you started. The factory ZHP wheels are HEAVY, and with some 18lb wheels you will DEFINITELY notice a difference. Put some sticky tires on there and the car will handle pretty darn well. The other stuff I mentioned is by no means necessary, just icing on the cake. You should be able to hang with a W210 E55 with just wheels + tires on your already quick ZHP.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

yup, all depends what you want to accomplish.

want to get your feet wet and experience the track/learn how the car handles - don't do a single thing to it.

out of the box, the cars are absolutely a good time on the track. as your skill improves, then you can start making some changes.
    - now with 5 speeds

My car is virtually stock and I was quite impressed with its ability to "hang" with the ///M3's in the turns and such at the last track day I did, and its not a ZHP, its a 325Ci. It was the first time for me in the Bimmer, but like the 42-43rd trackday overall. The only real mods I've done to this car are the bilstein/h&r spring combo...I do have Hawk HPS pads on the front and rear, and use Bridgestone RE050 RFT's. The only thing I really could pick out is that the 1-wheel drive system kinda sucks when you're lifting that corner...lol.
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

Your ability to "hang" with any car is more up to you than your car. I used to hang with some M3's of all flavors when my E30 still had its crappy powerplant (121hp when it was new), but once the straight came, away they all went.

It's always better to invest in oneself FIRST before spending money on the car.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Your ability to "hang" with any car is more up to you than your car. I used to hang with some M3's of all flavors when my E30 still had its crappy powerplant (121hp when it was new), but once the straight came, away they all went.

It's always better to invest in oneself FIRST before spending money on the car.

+1!!!!!!!!!
    - now with 5 speeds

spencers Guest
    Tires, pads, and driver. The car is more than capable.

Emphasis on driver. I only list tires and pads due to being the typical wear items when tracking. Heck, you'll get plenty of life out of a normal set of pads and tires even if you track your car just a few times a year.

Same is preached in auto-x. Who cares about the mods. What you need is SEAT TIME!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast