Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Checkered Flag BMW, Virginia Beach -- Review

My 2 interactions with this dealership have both been negative I am sorry to say.

When I was looking for my Z4 about 18 months ago, I went in to the dealership and found a nice 05 Sterling Gray 3.0 for which they were asking 19,995. It was about 2k overpriced at the time and after a test drive, I came back to sit down and told the salesman I was wiling to pay KBB retail for the car. I had to endure the usual 30 minute wait alone while the salesman had to "consult" the ASM (I loved reading the recent post about the Edmunds undercover reporter explaining the purpose of the wait...). Anyway, after spending 2 hours or so total in the dealership and after careful consideration, they said they couldn't come down one dollar on the car. Not even a token 100 bucks? I walked briskly out the door.

Fast forward to when I took the Z4 I did end up buying in for a service and new tires. I brought the car in, asked them to make sure they knew exactly what tires fit the car (they apparently couldn't do this / didn't want to do this over the phone knowing my model and year), and directed them to order Michelin Pilot Sport (Non-Runflats). When I came to pick the car up on a Saturday, they could not find the key to the shop where the car was kept overnight. A key. Seriously? I had to come back on Monday and then find out they had ordered more expensive Pirellis for the car, installed them and presented me a bill for 1.8k for the tires separate from the service. Needless to say I had a total meltdown in front of the entire service department and customers (I am normally very chill). The problem was fixed 4 days later after they could locate the correct tires.

I received a BMW USA survey about my service experience and there weren't a lot of 5's (or 3's for that matter) on my response. Shortly after, the service manager asked me by phone to come in and chat. I explained that I was busy and had no intention of coming in to chat.

Generally, both the sales and service side displayed a sense of arrogance and lack of care for their customers that made me never want to buy a BMW again. However, I love the damn cars so much, I am back again in the fold.

If anyone knows of an independent BMW mechanic in the Hampton Roads area, please drop me a PM. Thanks!
    Last edited by BlackNTan; 07-22-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Current: 2004 Jet Black w/ tan ZHP 330 Convertible; MB SL 500, MB E500; Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition
    Previous: Lexus Pebble Beach Edition SC430; Silver Gray E46 M3 Convertible; Audi A4 1.8T; Acura Integra LS; 1st car: 1987 Honda Civic Si (new)

Thanks for the review. These reviews show up in Google, so I am sure the dealer will be happy you wrote this (I know I am).

I've only been in to checkered flag BMW for parts, never actually spoke with service writers or any of that so my experience has been pretty limited. However, most of what people told me was usually fairly good about them, this is good info.

Damn. I have never been to a Checkered Flag.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Cool fact- I use to work at Checkered Flag Porshe, Audi, and Jaguar...generally good things to say about them. But, as it's known all dealers will try and nickel and dime you on something dumb at some point.

If you're in Virginia Beach Check out Racewerks, or Atlantic Autowerks (my friend's favorite shop). I've heard nothing but good things at both.

Google +1'd.

Like the review. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights