Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Transmission Fluid and Rear Differental Fluid capacities

All:
    I will changing the transmission fluid and rear diff fluid along with a number of other preventive maintenance jobs next weekend. Anyway, I will be using Redline D4 ATF as per Redline instructions for the tranny fluid and 75w90 Redline gear oil for the rear diff. Two questions:

1. I'm a bit confused on which tranny my 04 6 speed zhp has--looking at Bentley, they list 4 tranny types: the Getrag, ZF, S6S420G and the GS6-37BZ. I'm trying to figure out fluid capacity and each has different amount listed. It is my understanding that I have the Getrag but is it the GS6-37BZ tranny found in the m3? Prob will get two litres no matter what it is.

2. Rear Diff oil capacity?

I believe we have the non-m Getrag. Someone will jump in and confirm.

As for capacity, iirc my diff took a little over a liter and my trans took nearly two.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I just did mine. Differential took about 1.1 liter and transmission took around 1.7 liter. So, two each is good enough. One other thing is that my transmission drain and fill plug needed 8 mm hex instead of 17 mm bolt that everyone was showing.

The manual-trans ZHP has the GS6-37BZ. Plug the last 7 of your VIN here to see fluid capacities.

I recall using Redline ATF in my E36 M3 (manual trans) but it was a long time ago and I don't remember the argument for doing so. If you have a manual, why not use Redline MTL?

2 its tranny. Or until it starts coming out fill plug.

1 qt diff.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

My five speed took just over a liter. Different gear box, though. I filled until it started overflowing then capped it as quickly as I could.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Thanks all. I bought 2 liters of the redline d4 atf and 2 liters of the rear diff oil. Also bought thermostat with housing, hoses (already have the water pump and BMW antifreeze) fuel filter, ate blue racing brake fluid from autohauz. It's a start, right? Oh yea, I am doing the icv clean first.

Quote Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
    If you have a manual, why not use Redline MTL?
    ^^^

Curious as to why ATF and not MTL...

Quote Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
    ^^^

Curious as to why ATF and not MTL...
    Fwiw-

From what I've read, the ATF makes the shifting and feel less notchy.

That being said, I've also read that the MTL is the better lubricant.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Emailed redline and they recommended the D4ATF.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast