Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changed transmission and differential fluid

I changed both manual transmission and differential fluid today. I got the car last week and I wanted to have it my way regardless of what previous owner did.

I purchased two quarts of MTF and 75W-90 gear oil. I also got fluid transfer pump. To get the transmission drain and fill plug I needed 8 mm hex key. Every DIY post that I saw was showing 17 mm bolts for these two. Maybe some different productions, I don't know. It didn't look like it was replaced. To get the rear differential you need 14 mm hex. Once car is up it's easy task.

This was the first time that I put all four wheels in the air. I was a little scared but everything went well. For my record, I took a picture and here it is.

I initially wanted to do CDV delete at the same time. But, my wife had to go out early and no one else to help me bleed so I had to stop there. I ordered BMW performance SSK so I'm planning to do it when I install SSK.

Nice work.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by variate View Post
    I initially wanted to do CDV delete at the same time. But, my wife had to go out early and no one else to help me bleed so I had to stop there. I ordered BMW performance SSK so I'm planning to do it when I install SSK.
    I ran into the same problem

Worked like a charm and tbh, if you pinch the line it barely needs to be bled (do it anyway) but I got straight fluid out.
    -ADAM

My dad was good enough to let me use his power bleeder when I did mine. Talk about making life easy.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphatek45 View Post
    I ran into the same problem

Worked like a charm and tbh, if you pinch the line it barely needs to be bled (do it anyway) but I got straight fluid out.
    Great idea. Maybe next time. I also got a small c-clamp, so no problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by static667 View Post
    My dad was good enough to let me use his power bleeder when I did mine. Talk about making life easy.
    I wish I had access to pressure bleeder.

I got back from a test drive up to Palomar mountain and it feels much better. I can't wait to do CDV and SSK. By the way, there was a motorcycle accident in county road S6. Be careful if you drive up there.

So I'm guessing that when most of replace fluids you use a pressure bleeder? What's the alternative?

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by static667 View Post
    Yeah, definitely worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by DeM3n View Post
    So I'm guessing that when most of replace fluids you use a pressure bleeder? What's the alternative?
    Assistant who can hold the pedal while you open the valve.

Wasn't there discussion, deciding MTF was not the right tranny fluid for our cars?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Wasn't there discussion, deciding MTF was not the right tranny fluid for our cars?
    DW, have been using Red Line MTL in the ZHP transmission for the last 37k might without issue. Also run it in the e36, and used to run it in the e30 too. IMHO, seems to shift slightly better then reg. factory fluid. But, that could just be my imagination...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

-Brettski

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast