Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

DIY: Restore Your Alcantara Steering Wheel doityourself

When I bought my car 18 months ago, it had a very oily, nasty looking thing on it that I steered the car with. Disgusting.

So I went at it with some tips I found on the net and decided I'll post a semi-competent DIY for restoring the ZHPs smexy Alcantara steering wheel. Sorry I did not take pictures while I did this, it was a while ago.

Materials:

- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (Original version only)
    - Damp bath towel(s)
    - Suede/Alcantara shoe cleaner (optional)
    - Lint Remover (optional)

Before:

1. Survey your steering wheel. Mine was very, very oily but the fabric itself was not deteriorating (on first glance it looked like it was). If your fabric is deteriorating, it may be best to not do this DIY.

2. With warm tap water, get your bath towel damp, and wring it out. Using almost no pressure; wipe the steering wheel. I preferred to go in a circle following the wheel. This should get the heaviest, grossest stuff off.

*3. Spray with Alcantara cleaner, let it foam, then use the included little plastic brush to rub the Alcantara in a circular fashion (again following the steering wheel). This will cause raised nubs of Alcanatara to form, so wipe very lightly, and pay attention to your fabric while you are in progress.

*4. Use the lint remover to buzz off and catch the little nubs you made with the Alcantara cleaner. You can also use a blade if you are very careful.

5. Use the Magic Eraser- dampened as per the directions, and again rub the steering wheel in a circular motion, with little to no pressure. Go back and forth on the areas near the buttons, trim, etc. When the wheel is dark grey and satisfactory looking, let it sit for 1-2 hours before driving it, wet Alcantara is very fragile.

*Optional steps. I would recommend doing steps 1, 2, and 5 first. I'm not really sure if 3 and 4 did anything. Maybe they did... no way to know.

After:

Still slightly damp:

~One year later

What it looked like when I sold it- hadn't been wiped down for ~20k miles.

I recommend doing just the wet rag every 10k or so miles, or when you see a slight oily base starting to form again.
    - Derek

Nice work, looks a lot better!

I will have to try this on my driver seat at the edge where its worn from getting in and out! Excellent!!!
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

I'll have to try the Alcantara cleaner. Mine's not oily but no where near as full and almost fluffy as it felt when I bought it with 27K on it. Does the cleaner make it feel more natural, like the shift and brake boot?
    Last edited by 3ZHPGUY; 12-09-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Quote Originally Posted by pyreguy View Post
    I will have to try this on my driver seat at the edge where its worn from getting in and out! Excellent!!!
    It's a little different there, that's generally not oil and wear, it's just wear. This won't replace fabric that is no longer there. I may wipe it down gently and try the Alcantara cleaner with the light brush, skip the magic eraser on the seat. Be careful though.
    - Derek

I actually very excited about this thread. I was already pricing a replacement leather steering wheel for when the time comes. Fortunately for me, the PO wore gloves when he drove to try to preserve the wheel, and it did a good job. But I refuse to do that and can already see a difference. But I love the way it feels and like that you never never see alcantara steering wheels in other cars. While that may be for a good reason , I still like the uniqueness. I would much rather be able to keep it looking sharp than replacing it!
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH

Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    I'll have to try the Alcantara cleaner. Mine's not oily but now where near as full and almost fluffy as it felt when I bought it with 27K on it. Does the cleaner make it feel more natural, like the shift and brake boot?
    It's kind of stiff-ish (not really) for about a day, then I think it's softer than before the cleaning.
    - Derek

Quote Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
    It's a little different there, that's generally not oil and wear, it's just wear. This won't replace fabric that is no longer there. I may wipe it down gently and try the Alcantara cleaner with the light brush, skip the magic eraser on the seat. Be careful though.
    Will do! When I do it I will take some before and after pics for y'all.
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH

I think you just saved me $800. I'm going to give it a shot Saturday.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast