Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

All Seasons Vs Snow Tires

How do you guys feel about this? I think I'm about to get another set of wheels. I don't have a winter set up, so I was wondering what you guys think. I really dont want a soley dedicated winter set. I would just like to be able to switch wheels when I want.

Im looking at another set of 19s, probably VMRs VB3s or 701s or 710s undecided right now.

You guys that live in the north and get snow, do you think all seasons are good enough in the snow? What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

All seasons are "OK". Snow tires are king. Get snow tires and you'll be wondering why people think they "need" AWD.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    All seasons are "OK". Snow tires are king. Get snow tires and you'll be wondering why people think they "need" AWD.
    BP always seems to say the things that I have on my mind. There really is a huge difference in snow traction between winter tires and no-seasons. Also keep in mind that not all winter tires aren't created equal. If you still want to maintain decent grip in the dry, I've found that the Dunlop 3D does very well. You'll give up a little snow traction compared to tires such as the Blizzak, but the Blizzaks have mushy sidewalls. Here in central MO, we don't typically get a lot of snowstorms so the 3Ds work great for me. When I eventually move to MN, I'll likely switch back to Blizzaks for the snow traction.

I lived in snow with a BMW. I had dedicated snows.

I once got caught in a snow storm (early snow) before my snows went on. I was driving all seasons at the time. It was a trip of a lifetime.

I'm one of those guys who would try to convince you to get snows. Night and day difference to me.

Highly recommend dedicated snows if you are driving in snow alot - the difference in driving is incredible. Also consider rim size less than 18 or 19. I've used 16 sport addition uglies for a few years and am thinking some 17" reps 135's would be great. Hard to find though.

Quote Originally Posted by strz0001 View Post
    Highly recommend dedicated snows if you are driving in snow alot - the difference in driving is incredible. Also consider rim size less than 18 or 19. I've used 16 sport addition uglies for a few years and am thinking some 17" reps 135's would be great. Hard to find though.
    Thats my dilemma, i dont care what time of year it is. I dont want my care to look funky with a odd snow set up. I found almost brand new blizzaks on some tire rack AE7 sport rim M3 fitment for $775, but I just cant see those wheels on my car. This is driving me nuts

Wheels on a car are like a womens hair, you f it up and a 10 can become a 6.3 after a couple shots
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by M3TA5IN View Post
    I dont want my care to look funky with a odd snow set up.
    There's another way to look at that...

Would you rather see your car on some "ugly" 17" rims snow tires, or smashed to shit in a ditch because you lost traction and crashed the car? Compared to all-seasons, winter tires are a night and day difference. Furthermore, here in BC, if you drive anywhere past the "winter tires required" street signs (these signs are on every local mountain) without winter tires and get into an accident, your insurance is VOID.

I had 17 inch snows. Worked well.

Unfortunately, if you want a dedicated set of snows, 18's or 19's ain't gonna cut it. As far as I know, the smaller the better.
    I believe skinnier is better as well.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Unfortunately, if you want a dedicated set of snows, 18's or 19's ain't gonna cut it. As far as I know, the smaller the better.
    I believe skinnier is better as well.
    Exactly.

The skinnier the tire you have the easier it is to cut through snow and reach pavement. If you have a wide tire on the car it will float on top of the snow and you will do nothing.

I don't know what the relation is with wheel size, but I assume it's directly related to width (smaller wheel = smaller width).

During the summer on my E46 I ran 235s on 18s. Winter I was on 205s on 16s.

Anyways. I ran on A/S Tires through winter on Lake Effect Snow. Never got stuck and never had trouble. It all comes down to driver skill. If you know what the tires can and can't do...it's literally impossible IMO to get in trouble unless mother nature does it for you.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast