Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Xenon bulb choices.

I've got a xenon bulb out and need to replace it. I'll be replacing both (passenger and driver's) and keeping the old working one for an extra.

But what/who's should I buy?

I've got OE projectors, NON-bixenon. Which is xenon for low beams and halogens for high-beams. I do not have DRLs.

Here's a pic (hood's popped)

Am I correct that I need an H7 bulb ($10)? Or is it a DS-2 bulb ($85)?

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

spencers Guest
    For OEM projectors you need D2S xenon bulbs.

My suggestion is the Phillips 85122+
    $95 a pair here, http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...nvrvmi2ukfm87e
    These are the absolute BEST bulbs you can buy for the price. Best light output (lumens), best longevity (2500 hours), and most efficient.

If you can afford, (and locate) the Osram Cool Blue Intense, its a top notch quality bulb, rated at 5000k and 3400 lumens.

Lastly, if you're looking to save a little money versus the Phillips, the Sylvania 66240 on amazon for $40/each is good quality OEM replacement.

Guess I'll be getting the Phillips. Thanks for the answer and links!

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Hey Ryan,

How long did it take you to replace the bulb? I've just had one of my BiXenon headlights go out and I'm hoping to take care of it this week. Is this a pretty easy DIY?

TIA.
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

Im going to be doing this soon as well.
    I was thinking about going this route as I would like to go with 6k bulbs again.
    http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...lacements-Pair

The price is significantly less than the phillips and others. I bought some from umnitza around 2 years ago and they are going out on me.
    Should i just bite the bullet and go for the expensive ones?

'01 330i

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    For OEM projectors you need D2S xenon bulbs.

My suggestion is the Phillips 85122+
    $95 a pair here, http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...nvrvmi2ukfm87e
    These are the absolute BEST bulbs you can buy for the price. Best light output (lumens), best longevity (2500 hours), and most efficient.

If you can afford, (and locate) the Osram Cool Blue Intense, its a top notch quality bulb, rated at 5000k and 3400 lumens.

Lastly, if you're looking to save a little money versus the Phillips, the Sylvania 66240 on amazon for $40/each is good quality OEM replacement.
    I'm confused, my '05 325Ci's OEM projectors used H7s; both low and high beams used H7s.
    My ZHP though, the projectors are D2S.
    Ryan, the 100% error-free way to tell is if the bulb that is out is long or short.

For H7's, I used Sylvania Silverstars and they were pretty bright, pure white.
    The D2S's I have now are generic ones from Khoalty, 6000K, very bright with a slight blue tinge. Very cheap, had them on for over half a year, no problems at all. At the price I paid and the brightness, I think I'd rather stick with these. A couple lumens isn't worth around 50-100 bucks extra to me.

Quote Originally Posted by quikryptonite View Post
    Hey Ryan,

How long did it take you to replace the bulb? I've just had one of my BiXenon headlights go out and I'm hoping to take care of it this week. Is this a pretty easy DIY?

TIA.
    The airbox kinda blocks the driver's side but I have contortionist hands, popped out the bulb and replaced it in 5 minutes without taking out the headlights or anything.
    There used to be a DIY guide on E46Fanatics and also a YouTube vid by sillieidiot...

Quote Originally Posted by quikryptonite View Post
    Hey Ryan,

TIA.
    I swapped my 2 bulbs around tonight within ten minutes from one side to the other no problem.

I went ahead and ordered the 6ks from ddmtuning. Says they prob wont be here for a week. Im hoping that it doesn't take that long...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

I know this thread is old, but for you guys looking for what I believe is the absolute BEST D2S bulb you can buy, go with the Osram Xenarc SVS. I am still blown away at how bright and clear nighttime driving is. Perfectly white, insanely bright.

I got my set at www.theretrofitsource.com. $200/pair

Sent from my hybrid iPhone 4/4S...
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
    I know this thread is old, but for you guys looking for what I believe is the absolute BEST D2S bulb you can buy, go with the Osram Xenarc SVS. I am still blown away at how bright and clear nighttime driving is. Perfectly white, insanely bright.

I got my set at www.theretrofitsource.com. $200/pair

Sent from my hybrid iPhone 4/4S...
    That's just a lot more money for bulbs then I can afford with my other expenses right now. Later down the road when money is not so tight ill look into them.

Thanks for the suggestion ill keep them in mind!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

Agreed... I will admit, had I not had the extra income when I bought them, I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with OEM replacements at $90/pair... But, I had a little extra cash to toss around, and now that I have them, I'm glad I do.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast