Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FCSCC AutoX 2011-07-31

Finally got some video at the last auto-x. Uploaded my best run of the day onto YouTube...

Too much sawing at the wheel. I need to fix that.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Just off first glance, it seems that you had way too much wheel spin at the beginning.

Especially since the timing box is so far out, make sure the car has traction and get up speed afterwards.

How did you place?

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    Just off first glance, it seems that you had way too much wheel spin at the beginning.

Especially since the timing box is so far out, make sure the car has traction and get up speed afterwards.
    +1
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

How did you place?
    To me, it felt as though the wheelspin was almost just right. I can't give it less wheelspin because then the car just kind of bogs. It doesn't have enough power down low to get it anywhere at a decent speed. I can't rev it up high because then it truly has too much wheelspin. If I raise the revs and dump the clutch around 2.5-2.75k rpm while the revs are rising, the car seems to have the best thrust forward. The wheelspin really isn't as much as it sounds; it has a lot of spin initially but the car does get moving, and then the revs just rise as normal without staying in place or rising too much and then falling once traction is obtained. All that noise is due to a little bit of sand at the starting grid.

I've had a couple of really good drivers drive my car and they launch it the same way at about the same rpm's. I don't have any data to prove it, but it certainly feels faster and more lively coming off the line doing it like that. What I can tell you for a fact is that this car is as slow as balls in auto-x; there just isn't enough torque down low to get you anywhere, and since most of my time is spend in 2nd gear between 2.5 and 5k rpm on that tiny little lot, I don't have much power to play with, so I want to at least get a decent launch in.........

Is your experience different? I know you have a different car and all, but some knowledge would be nice, so if you've got a better technique, I'm all ears! Anything I can use to get an advantage........

Overall, I placed 2nd in class (STX).
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    To me, it felt as though the wheelspin was almost just right. I can't give it less wheelspin because then the car just kind of bogs. It doesn't have enough power down low to get it anywhere at a decent speed. I can't rev it up high because then it truly has too much wheelspin. If I raise the revs and dump the clutch around 2.5-2.75k rpm while the revs are rising, the car seems to have the best thrust forward. The wheelspin really isn't as much as it sounds; it has a lot of spin initially but the car does get moving, and then the revs just rise as normal without staying in place or rising too much and then falling once traction is obtained. All that noise is due to a little bit of sand at the starting grid.

I've had a couple of really good drivers drive my car and they launch it the same way at about the same rpm's. I don't have any data to prove it, but it certainly feels faster and more lively coming off the line doing it like that. What I can tell you for a fact is that this car is as slow as balls in auto-x; there just isn't enough torque down low to get you anywhere, and since most of my time is spend in 2nd gear between 2.5 and 5k rpm on that tiny little lot, I don't have much power to play with, so I want to at least get a decent launch in.........

Is your experience different? I know you have a different car and all, but some knowledge would be nice, so if you've got a better technique, I'm all ears! Anything I can use to get an advantage........

Overall, I placed 2nd in class (STX).
    At the end of first gear it looked like the car got tail happy, that's how I thought the tires were still spinning.

I launch my car at 1,500 RPM. It seems incredibly low, but the HP and torque does have some effect.

When I first started driving the car, I was launching at 2500. And this was the result (ignore the cone hits...they were pathetic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgUlK...layer_embedded

versus now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFzV2TMWwPk

And trust me, I know what you mean. I drove a 325xi for a year...it hates miata courses

The best was is to just constantly on the gas or brake. I still have a really hard time doing this, as you saw in the second video...I was coasting a couple times...that costs alot of time.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

1500? Wow... dunno how I'd pull that one off, but I'll give it a try at the next event. I would think you'd have a harder time since your car makes most of its power higher up?

The slalom in this video was very unusual because I've never ever straightened the wheel out in a slalom before, so this was an unusual occurance. In the other runs, the slalom seemed normal.

I keep my coasting to an almost nonexistant amount. If you're not on the brake or on the throttle, time is being lost, IMO.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    1500? Wow... dunno how I'd pull that one off, but I'll give it a try at the next event. I would think you'd have a harder time since your car makes most of its power higher up?

The slalom in this video was very unusual because I've never ever straightened the wheel out in a slalom before, so this was an unusual occurance. In the other runs, the slalom seemed normal.

I keep my coasting to an almost nonexistant amount. If you're not on the brake or on the throttle, time is being lost, IMO.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Straightening out the wheel in the slalom tells me that you're going through it too slow IMO.

At 2k I'm already at 200 ft-lbs of torque, then continue up to around 270 at 5k. I'm surprised I can launch that low as well, it could be my tires aren't as grippy as I want, not warmed up yet...etc

It was hard to tell if you were coasting or not..since the engine note was hard to hear sometimes

Straightening out the wheel in the slalom tells me that you're going through it too slow IMO.

At 2k I'm already at 200 ft-lbs of torque, then continue up to around 270 at 5k. I'm surprised I can launch that low as well, it could be my tires aren't as grippy as I want, not warmed up yet...etc

It was hard to tell if you were coasting or not..since the engine note was hard to hear sometimes
    I can assure you there was no coasting whatsoever. That's one thing I'm allergic to.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

spencers Guest
    I think you could shave about 25 seconds off the first part of your run.. I mean you were just sitting there!

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    I think you could shave about 25 seconds off the first part of your run.. I mean you were just sitting there!
    I sent you a PM earlier Spence. Please respond. Thanks
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast