Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Since this appears to have been a CCV issue, I thought I'd post the fun little DIY diagnostic tests, as well as BMW's Service Information Bulletin 110803 parts list for rehabbing your CCV:

At warm idle, place small plastic freezer storage bag on its side over the oil fill hole. If the bag sits on top or gets slightly sucked in, ~1", the
    valve is good. If the bag gets significantly sucked in the hole the valve is stuck open and bad.

With the engine off and cold, carefully remove the hose at the valve cover front corner. Blow hard into the hole. You should hear oil bubbling in the oil pan. If you don't hear the bubbling, the top or bottom hose is likely cracked. The bottom hose often breaks just below the valve connection. There can also be cracks in the other two hoses.

Download the July, 2010 update to SIB 110803 HERE.

That's funny because I read the same thing about an hour after I fininished my CCV and hose replace. Did both and I now have a good CCV.

Even after the CCV replace, the car is still sluggish on a later day start up. That being said, the CCV and hose replace was not in vain as the CCV was covered in Oil and grimey grit. Indeed, the car feels as though it has more pull and much better throttle response. Anyway, I have another thread where I am conjecturing that the starter is going bad based upon a metal grind noise right after start-up that lasts for about a second. It is the same sound as David's car in his thread. It sounds like it"s coming from the starter area. I am going to try to post a video later tonight. One thing I will say is that after all this I know my way around the driver's side of the engine.

BY the way, I have been doing a lot of reading and research on the ccv issues. I know BMW put out a bulletin to convert our M54s over to the cold weather ccv package, which is a coated ccv and insulated hoses. I also know that they redesigned the dipstick. Conversley, I have read about a number of instances where freezing still occurred, even after conversion to the cold weather ccv, due to dipstick issues. Accordingly, check out the following options:
    1. http://vsetrack.com/track_reports/20..._separator.htm

This option seems like a much simplier way to go.

2. I have also read where people are simply plugging both the manifold ccv opening and the dipstick openeing, then running a hose from the valve cover to a catch can thereby eliminating the entire issue of crankcase fumes going back into the engine. All you need to worry about is emptying the catch can. Don't know if I'm gutsy enough and/or handy enough to undertake this but this ccv seems to be about as bad a design flaw as our cooling systems.

Linky no worky. But I'm interested in reading that if you can repost a working link.

EDIT: I think I found it...

http://vsetrack.com/track_reports/20..._separator.htm

Yes, that's it. I am going to do some more research but looks promising.

Let's get a new thread going on this. Very intrigued over here...

Back to your original problem, check this out:

http://www.bmpdesign.com/technical/direct_fire.php

That's funny, I read the same thing about a month ago and pulled each coil with the glass of water on the manifold. Pulled each coil and they all tested out good. I'm not getting any CEL. The only thing is that it starts up a bit odd yet. Could it be the crankshaft position sensor going bad or would that throw a code?

Excerpted from the E46 Common Problems document originally compiled by the guy at Beisan Systems:

Camshaft position sensors can fail and cause problems. They will usually
    produce a code, but they might initially malfunction without producing a
    code. A failing exhaust CPS will cause light performance problems. A failing
    intake CPS can cause significant performance problems.
    Aftermarket CPS sensors don't work. OE CPS sensors are only available
    through BMW.

What about the crankshaft position sensor. As far as the camshaft position sensors I understand that it is usually the intake that goes bad? I don't want to keep throwing blind monkey at this as the car runs beautifully except for this minor hiccup at start. However, it has been a bleats trying to diagnose. Leaning a lot.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678