Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NY Inspection Station Nonsense - A Saddening Review

So today I took the ZHP for its annual NYS $37 inspection at a local service station. A number family and friends use the station and have given it the thumbs up. Usually, when I have an issue outside my DIY expertise, I take my car to a BMW/Land Rover indy who is very honest and a great mechanic. I also usually have him do my inspections. However, I was a bit lazy this time and the place is right around the corner.

Anyway, guy says I can wait as it will only take a couple of minutes. Well I'm waiting about 45 minutes when one of the mechanics comes out and shows me a light bulb which he had pulled from the license plate bulb housing. He said the housing was very corroded and when he tried to replace the bulb it still failed to function. He took me to the car and showed me where he had unscrewed the entire "mini" spoiler which houses the license plate lights and trunk release. He opined that the bulb short circuited and melted to the trunk. I looked and looked but I could not see where it "melted" to the trunk.

Well then he and the owner huddled up with me and informed me that I will have to buy a whole new "mini" spoiler as BMW does make the individual license plate bulb housings as replacements. I said that is hard to believe, but he insisted. He then tells me that BMW only makes it in a matte black and that you have to get it painted. Also, that the one on my car is matte black. I stood there looking at my Orient blue "mini" spoiler not knowing what to say. He told me that the mini spoiler would cost about $100 and another $100 to get it painted. Deep down I knew this could not be, didn't make sense. I thought to myself that I must look like a real jackass to this guy. Well, I thanked him and took my car home.

I got home and looked the license plate housing and bulb up on Pelican Parts and found the white housing for the bulb for $6.95. The housing apparently just pops out and is easily replaced. Still dumbfounded. If I didn't know anything I probably would have told him to go ahead and order the parts.

Bullshit.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I'd go back in with the parts and receipts when you get them.
    Then tell him that you will instruct everyone you know not to do business with him.
    But that's just me...
    -ADAM

I don't cuss much, but let me just say this: fucking criminal!

This is why I loved being an investigative reporter. Nothing I hate more than people trying to take advantage of others. Worse, this asshole is screwing with one of our mafia peeps.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.

He must have thought your name was Ben Dover. I would definitely spread the word for others to avoid that place like the plague.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans323i View Post
    He must have thought your name was Ben Dover.

We have a place to write up reviews here....just sayin.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I learned my lesson, either do it myself or take it to someone I really trust. It was kind of odd the way they were parading around the shop with a burned out light bulb pontificating about the woes of owning such an expensive car to maintain. Obviously they had no idea what we all already know, ZHP's are not that special)

Dw, feel free to move this to review section. Also add review to title. Thanks, sir.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    Dw, feel free to move this to review section. Also add review to title. Thanks, sir.

---
    Done!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast