Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    just got a call from the shop - mostly good news, some bad, but overall nothing too major. here's what he told me:

he said the noise is due to the tread wear on the pilot sport tires. he claimed that as they wear down they cause noise. said he had the same experience with the PS's on his own car. he said the bearings and CABs look to be in good shape and did not recommend replacing them. alignment is fine. all he recommended was getting new tires. not so bad there.

on the flip side, he said the motor/transmission mounts have mostly collapsed, he said it wasn't to the point of absolutely needing replacement but it would be something to consider in the near future. he also recommended replacing the cabin/air/fuel filters as well as all are original to the car and are pretty dirty.

the P+L for the mounts and filters comes to $1000 almost exactly. i probably won't tackle the mounts for a few months but will probably go ahead and do the filters.

other than that, they did a thorough examination and all other major areas of inspection came back fine. brake fluid is flushed, oil is changed, just got a fresh wash and they will even come pick me up from work and give me a ride back to the shop to pick it up.

I came in here to post that my similar noise is gone after getting new tires. But I'm glad you figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    just got a call from the shop - mostly good news, some bad, but overall nothing too major. here's what he told me:

he said the noise is due to the tread wear on the pilot sport tires. he claimed that as they wear down they cause noise. said he had the same experience with the PS's on his own car. he said the bearings and CABs look to be in good shape and did not recommend replacing them. alignment is fine. all he recommended was getting new tires. not so bad there.

on the flip side, he said the motor/transmission mounts have mostly collapsed, he said it wasn't to the point of absolutely needing replacement but it would be something to consider in the near future. he also recommended replacing the cabin/air/fuel filters as well as all are original to the car and are pretty dirty.

the P+L for the mounts and filters comes to $1000 almost exactly. i probably won't tackle the mounts for a few months but will probably go ahead and do the filters.

other than that, they did a thorough examination and all other major areas of inspection came back fine. brake fluid is flushed, oil is changed, just got a fresh wash and they will even come pick me up from work and give me a ride back to the shop to pick it up.
    Glad to hear the noise is 'just tires'.

The P&L on those mounts and filters seems a little high to me. With BMW OE parts, I guess that could put you in the ballpark.

Anyone change out motor and transmission mounts?

I think this can be done by lifting the car and jacking the motor/trans and removing/replacing one mount at a time:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=738043

Here's the DIY for an e36/e46 using an engine hoist:
    www.vorshlag.com/documents/install/motormount_install.pdf

Air filters should be changed out at suggested intervals, generally check/replace at 15k (Inspection I) and replace at 30k (Inspection II). Cabin air filter suggested intervals are the same/similar, depending on whether or not you use the system in recirculate mode.

I hope your indy shop didn't tell you the fuel filter was "dirty" - you can't inspect the condition of the filter. A suggested interval for changing out these filters is 60k (which is every other Inspection II). I think I saw somewhere that you have 51k+ on the clock. You can always change it... wouldn't hurt.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

lol no you're right, i asked him if it was dirty and he said exactly that, he couldn't tell without taking it apart but it is recommended for the mileage.

here are the breakdowns for the quote he gave me, all BMW OEM parts, including P+L:

motor mounts - $441
    tranny mounts - $141
    air filter - $78
    cabin filter - $120
    fuel filter - $246

seem reasonable?

On my E30 (keyword here is E30), motor mounts took about an hour with beer. Just jacked up the motor a little, slipped in the new mount and put the motor back down. Then tightened everything, of course.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123