Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks for the heads up. I thought I had this problem, too. I still check the dipstick every once-in-a-while just to make sure. I could've sworn a few times my dipstick was very low, but I put it in a few more times (that's what she said) and it was around the middle mark for about 3-4 samples. I'll keep checking it during each fill-up to make sure my oil level indicator is still working.

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    I always depended on the amber/yellow oil light to come on when I was 1 litre/quart lower than optimal. It has worked for me for tens of thousands of miles and reminded me to top up when my engine tried to be a hybrid to burn both fuel and oil. I noticed driving with concrete barriers on the shoulder a slight ticking sound like a lifter sound from various other engines. I knew it wasn't like that before then I remembered earlier I was marveling about my new oil change thousands of miles ago about not having to top up every 1,000 miles as I did before since the low oil indicator light never turned on. The car was completely smooth and driving nicely this morning. The silky inline 6 purring and revving freely as a BMW engine should.

So today I decided to check the dipstick after giving her a good detail. I pulled the dipstick out to see it dry. Poooor ZHP...I apologized to her and started to feed oil down her thirsty throat. When the level got to optimum at the top of the highest notch, she drank 3L/quarts of oil.

So remember to check your oil because the oil light may retire at any moment. My car is happy now and is enjoying a 6800 rev without any added friction. Time to change her oil early because of this. I'm glad I have a magnetic drain plug to catch any foreign metallic material.
    Good reminder to check things when it seems out of the ordinary. I just had the little yellow oil light come on the other day. I'm also doing about a quart every 1,000 miles - with lots of commuting and slightly 'spirited' driving.

Quote Originally Posted by llll1l1ll View Post
    Strangely enough, I had the oil changed at a reputable shop and with the required amount of oil, the dipstick reads just below the last bottom line. I'll add a half quart and it should be okay. It's just strange!

Anyway, yeah I always check the oil before any trip longer than one hour as well as biweekly. Owning an E30 will do this to you.
    Ain't that the truth!

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    It makes sense.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Here is the answer:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...rain/ES251840/

BavAuto is a rip off on this item. Looks like this little gem will be in my next bag of goodies from ECS.
    Last edited by quikryptonite; 08-19-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

Quote Originally Posted by quikryptonite View Post
    Here is the answer:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...rain/ES251840/

BavAuto is a rip of on this item. Looks like this little gem will be in my next bag of goodies from ECS.
    Thanks! I'm going to pick this up with my next order.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123