Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stock Navi Retrofit......worth it or meh?

Have a line on an OEM Nav unit. Wondering if I want to go through the 6+hour hassle of putting it in. What do you nav and non-nav owners think?

*No, i don't want aftermarket. I want the car as stock as possible interior wise. Even with the sucky nav unit that BMW had for our model years.

I really have no idea what I am doing

I like the built in Nav, basic, but functional. I've run it at the exact same time as my Nav on my Blackberry just for testing purposes and the calls/directions are the same and within a second or two at most with each other. Would it be a DIY, so no extra costs? 6 hours is a lot of time, but if you want stock, that's the way to do it. To me, it wouldn't seem worth it if you had to pay someone for it, but possibly if DIY.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Oh yea, definitely do it as a DIY. I helped out a couple other people do it and it is a long process. You have to essentially tear out the entire left side of the interior to route all the wiring. That's why it takes so long to do it

as a personal preference, i have zero interest in navigation systems. extra weight, complication and distraction. but if you drive all over the place and need it i suppose a free OEM unit and a day's work for the DIY isn't so bad...

Having the NAV would be pretty sweet. But the only downside is that it is something else in the car that can break or go wrong. I have a nice GPS that I keep in my glove compartment that I use for directions when I need it. But it can get a little annoying dealing with the cord and holding it while shifting. It is all preference.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I actually prefer the Garmin Nuvi over factory nav. I have OEM Nav in my Audi A4 and my MB E350 and my wife and I both prefer the Garmin Nuvi. Go figure.......

I just wish that the OEM Navi unit had more functionality like the aftermarket ones do. I suppose I don't really need it. Just would be a "nice to have" type of thing. Not sure if the pain of install justifies the "meh" feeling

Dynavin!

Sent from my HTC Desire, Like a BOSS!

Seems like you dont mind doing all the work. I had the same idea but scrapped this idea.

I think you cant go wrong with OEM. I have seen Dynavin in person I like it. I have seen other units as well they look ok.

I like my stock Nav. Like the look. Ok functionality.

Worth 6 hours of my time.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast