Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wooshing sound coming from wheels/tires?

So I have my first question/worry issue for the car. It is in regards to a "wooshing" sound I hear inside the cabin when the car is in 2nd gear, typically between speeds of 15-20 mph. I hear it during both acceleration and deceleration at the same speed. Describing the sound is kinda tricky, but it sounds like a repeating, intermittent whoo-whoo-whoo-whoo that speeds up in intervals under acceleration and vice versa during deceleration. I'm wondering if it's the tires? Pads/rotors? It sounds like it's coming from the front wheels. The car is shod with Michelin Pilot Sports, at least 75% tread life left on them, so not sure if they're the culprit.

It could also be totally normal and something I'm simply not accustomed to, having never owned a car with such an aggressive tire/suspension setup. I plan on having the car taken in soon anyway for Inspection I but am wondering if this is something I should address with the mechanic. Thanks guys.
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

I am gonna say it's either Wheel bearing or......do you "feel" any vibration or is it just the whooooosh?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

i don't feel any vibration, it's solely auditory.
    --Wes--

Could be a bent rim or an out-of-round tire. Mine (apparently according to the PO) has a bent rim on the right front, but the noise is on both front wheels. I think, at this point, it's just the tire. I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons. I'll know for sure tomorrow when the new tires are on.

A good way to tell if it's a bearing (at least in my experience with my E30) is to take a turn. If the sound is on the right side, and you turn right, the noise will increase. It will get quieter when you turn left. Also, bad bearings cause tons of vibration and are noisy at just about all speeds, but harmonics will make them louder/quieter at certain speeds.

Wooshing sound? Was going to say check your lugs.

Maybe consider getting an alignment (BMW usually charges reasonable rates here - $99)? Or having the wheels/tires checked/balanced?

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Whooshing = shocks IMO.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by llll1l1ll View Post
    Could be a bent rim or an out-of-round tire. Mine (apparently according to the PO) has a bent rim on the right front, but the noise is on both front wheels. I think, at this point, it's just the tire. I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons. I'll know for sure tomorrow when the new tires are on.

A good way to tell if it's a bearing (at least in my experience with my E30) is to take a turn. If the sound is on the right side, and you turn right, the noise will increase. It will get quieter when you turn left. Also, bad bearings cause tons of vibration and are noisy at just about all speeds, but harmonics will make them louder/quieter at certain speeds.
    Really I thought the opposite. Because I currently have a bad wheel bearing on right and when I make a right turn it gets quieter versus when I make left it gets louder with added vibration. I thought this was because when I make right turn the load of the car is no longer on the right tire and when I make left the load is on the bad wheel bearing????

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yeah I think I had it reversed. Not enough coffee today.

But you get the idea, right?

just took a quick drive focusing exclusively on this issue. it's almost more of a rough humming sound than a whoosh, if that makes sense. it happens from about 8-20 mph regardless of gear selection. i can definitely feel some mild vibration along the left front wheel well. gonna take the car in soon. not too worried, doesn't seem major, it's more annoying than anything.
    --Wes--

A major question for you is does the noise change when you apply the brakes? If it does, then it is going to be brake/rotor/pad/caliper related. If it does not, it most likely is not brake related. If it changes the noise or pitch, could easily be a slightly sticking caliper that rubs the rotor in one spot.

An easy one is to look at the dust shield behind the rotors. make sure it is not slightly bent and rubbing the rotor. (i had this happen on one of my cars...just bend it back into place) Also, if something is rubbing, you should be able to look for obvious signs of recent rubbing. when looking at metal parts, look for something that looks shiny, like it just got polished (cause it kinda did)
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast