Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So when/if BMW COUPE windows freeze...

So we all know that the coupe windows have to retract / "drop" before when they are opened, right, and in order for the door to close, they have to be in that position...
    I have always wondered what happens when windows freeze and DO NOT drop down, because then they can't be closed, right?

Well this morning, i opened the door and the didn't hear the familiar "drop"/retract noise, and i didn't know what to do really. I closed the door gently, and it felt like the door closed like normal. However the window would not roll down for 10 min or so, after that when the car got warm, windows operated like normal...

I might have been lucky? or am I just WRONG? I mean perhaps the door/window CAN close without it being "dropped" ???

Is there anything other than applying something like Gummipflege to the rubber seals that can prevent this?
    Shall I spray de-icer along the edges before pulling the door open, and/or let the car warm up? (which I don't want to do)...

Any ideas?

Thanks...
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Keeping an eye on this for responses as the temp drops here.....
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Ok-- did some searching and came up with this

Showing products for 2005 330Ci.

Keep your doors and trunk from freezing shut! Simply coat the rubber gaskets around your doors and trunk with Autosol's "Gummi-Pflege". It prevents ice crystals from forming between the gaskets and freezing together. 75 ml

Part number AS6500
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I would try the deicer on the seals. It's the only thing I can think of that it could freeze to. I'm sure it was just the cold.
    I thought for a second that you window regular went. lol
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Yeah I might get that Autosol product - Thanks!

How was I able to close the door without breaking the window, though? it closed like normal, even without the 1/2" drop of the glass window...
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Yeah...try to prevent the freeze. They gotta drop....
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Lol, looks like people don't respond to my posts, I asked the same thing, it happens to me as well. Basically too much pressure is holding the window up which doesn't allow for the window to drop. What ends up happening is your glass will tilt slightly, depending on how low it sits. On my drivers side, the glass is actually lower than passenger and thus only needs to drop a mil in order to clear the black covering the windows. I've only had this happen when it snows and then obviously freezes over.

^No offense intended.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    Lol, looks like people don't respond to my posts, I asked the same thing, it happens to me as well. Basically too much pressure is holding the window up which doesn't allow for the window to drop. What ends up happening is your glass will tilt slightly, depending on how low it sits. On my drivers side, the glass is actually lower than passenger and thus only needs to drop a mil in order to clear the black covering the windows. I've only had this happen when it snows and then obviously freezes over.
    Kudos, you know we love you!

I know, I know, I guess I was just the first guy hit with snow, and thus I posted on e46f and here. Guess now you guys have to feel the wrath of cold weather too. No problems from me, I have below freezing temps and I think my windows just got used to it?*shrug*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast