Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    I just used a screwdriver to trip the trunk latch closed. Just remember to open it before trying to close the trunk.

William.
    Thanks wsmyer, it is a good hint and will do it

I didn't follow the instructions exactly. First, I bought a cheap 2/10/55 Amp battery charger/starter ($30 with coupon) from Harbor Freight that doesn't officially have a manual mode. I tested it beforehand and saw the "charge" would automatically shut off after the battery was fully charged. The Start mode is normally used in the 55 Amp setting and the Charge mode is used with the 2A or 10A setting. I set amperage to 10A but mode to "Start" so it wouldn't shut off automatically.

Second I plugged it into the underhood terminals instead of directly to the battery so my hood was open, trunk and doors were closed. My long extension cord is not grounded and my grounded extension cord is too short to reach the back of the car while it's in the garage. (Proper answer would be to back car into the garage, putting battery near outlet.)

Third, I was watching the reflection of the SI in a CD and couldn't tell at first if the green LED was pulsing or not. So I mistakenly pushed the button once after it had started reading my existing DME code. Which is explicitly one of the things the instructions tell you NOT TO DO! I followed all the other instructions exactly.

But my car got Sharked okay.

one more quick question, how did you plug in the shark into the OBD port ? thru the opened window or you opened the driver side door ? Thanks

You can have the door open when you plug it into the OBD port, you just need to have the doors closed and driver's window open before you push the button, and then you observe things (and push the button a 2nd time at the end) through the open window.

Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    You can have the door open when you plug it into the OBD port, you just need to have the doors closed and driver's window open before you push the button, and then you observe things (and push the button a 2nd time at the end) through the open window.
    +1

I know it sounds crazy but the first time I "sharked" my car it didn't take. All the lights went on/off in the correct sequence and approx time frame, and at the end I got the success confirmation lights but I didn't feel any difference. The more I drove it the more disappointed I was in my $350 purchase. Towards the end of the second day I decided to run it to redline in first gear and sure enough, the limiter came in at 6500.

Ran through the whole process again and everything went as expected but this time I got the "restored" confirmation lights... WTF

Ran through it a third time and got the "success" confirmation lights. This time the difference was immediately noticeable and I have been completely satisfied since.

In my opinion the power increase as not as noticeable as the overall smoothness of the power delivery and the engine itself. MUCH better and really nice change. Well worth the $$$

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Thanks guys, now I have all the info I need to shark my ZHP....yoohoo !

Well, after much consideration I think I have decided to go with the Shark over other tunes.

Can any one speak to whether or not one vendor is better to order from than another? ie: turner or bimmerworld?

Loved this thread btw. great info.
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

Webster, I tried sending you a PM but you inbox is full.

What settings on the turner charger did you use since it appears to be an automatic charger versus and manual/constant version?

Thanks.
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

I think per the manual....you don't want an automatic charger...you want a continuous charger that maintains >=12.5 volts?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I assume you bought this one from Turner?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/c-69...2005-cars.aspx

It's specs are a bit confusing as usually an "automatic" charger switches modes automatically.

3 convenient charging modes
    2 amp trickle charge mode
    10 amp standard charge mode
    55 amp engine crank assist mode
    fully automatic

From looking at the pictures you'd want the switches set at Normal and 10AMP. This would be the constant current mode where it would hold the output current at 10A and the voltage would vary between 13.8 and 14.4V.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast