Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lived to tell the Tale

So this happened no longer than 10 mins ago and I'm in a parking lot taking a breather. I was on a one lane both direction road in some nice curvy back roads and almost lost it due to rain and other stuff.

First off I am guilty of liking to let my tail swing on rainy days since its easier and doesn't ruin my tires completely. So of course I had my DSC off. Let me tell you won't be touching that button for a while.

Any ways took a turn regularly, not trying to do anything stupid because cars were behind me and a F150 on the incoming lane. Note when I do act stupid I make sure no one is around and I mean no one. So it was during turn and just felt the weight and momentum slide the car out. So I corrected which then slid it to other side. Well you how on 1 lane roads they have small dirt and gravel on side to allow cars to pass if need be. Well I believe that saved my ass. Since I think that allow my car to slow down and not slide like it would have on pavement. That led me to make the final correction back on the road.

Let me tell you I do enjoy sliding but not like that. That could have been my first accident *knock on wood*.

Thus this experience has led me to write this thread. I also thought this would be a nice thread to write our experiences and share them with each other.

What can I take from my experience? BEWARE of DSC!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Oh here are aftermath pics:

Last edited by DirtyPillows; 09-08-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Glad you're ok brutha.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanx really scared the crap out of me since wasn't expecting it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Glad you and the car are ok.

After the first time that DSC saved my ass, I resolved to never touch it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

The only time dsc should ( at the drivers discretion) be tutned off is when on the track. The only exception to this would be If stuck in snow. We teach students to leave the electronic nannies on until comfortable with the tail "stepping" out. More times than not, dsc will save ur azz!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Gary
    2004 ZHP Coupe TiAg 6mt
    "I never said it was special"

Good to hear that all is well, man. Be careful out there. I try not to get crazy unless I'm in a controlled environment.

Sent from my rooted Fascinate using Tapatalk.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

phew - when i saw this thread title i was expecting some sort of accident. glad to see that's not the case.

i like to let the tail slide here and there - but only when the road is clear and only at low speeds - and always with DSC on...
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

What road were you on?
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I highly recommend an advanced car control clinic, a high-performance driving school, and autocross. Learning the skills to properly handle "surprise" situations is far more valuable than relying on electronic limiters and controls to keep you safe. I can't tell you how much the combination of these three types of education helped me avoid some nasty situations. I went to an advanced car control school despite being comfortable with the limits of my car and STILL learned a ton of useful stuff.

The only thing DSC does, in my opinion, is limit you beyond the point of discretion. Some slip is good, and sometimes, getting the tires to slip will save you from getting into an accident. I have the perfect, PERFECT example of what happened to me in my E30, but I will not get into that right now.

Just got to be careful in the wet. I keep telling my friend who has my E30, that car is no joke, and one small mistake could send you into a tree with that much power. 240hp may not seem like much, but it's enough to destroy you if you don't play your cards right. He likes to drift around a particular corner every chance he gets, and I keep telling him that it's not a good idea... he is getting much better at handling it though ever since we both took the advanced car control school together.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Glad you made it through OK.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast