Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VANOS rattle

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Definitely do both. If you're going through the trouble to do the seals, you might as well do the rings as well. It's not too many extra steps, and it's probably going to be well worth it for many many miles to come.
    Agreed. It would suck to button her back up and then get the rattle a few months later...
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I've done VANOS 5 times and never done the anti-rattle kit. Fricken rebel I tell ya....
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

By the way Dr. Vanos might be a good alternative for people that don't want to get into piston dismantling and/or sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
    By the way Dr. Vanos might be a good alternative for people that don't want to get into piston dismantling and/or sanding.
    Don't know where you guys are getting this sanding thing from. I've had it done on my other car and no sanding was required... why would sanding be required on the E46?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

It's only required if the inner roller bearing are too loose or too tight. If you look at the DIY step on their site you will see this optional step. From what I gather for most people the bearing are a perfect fit out of the box.

Damn, maybe I should do both then!!! I just ordered the seals, shipped out same day, great service. Now I am going to have to read that whole thread over to make sure I am clear. Stupid Vanos.
    How often do the new seals need to be replaced?
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Don't know where you guys are getting this sanding thing from. I've had it done on my other car and no sanding was required... why would sanding be required on the E46?

From....http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

Bearing loosening adjustment.
    If splined shaft binds and cannot be rotated then axial fit it too tight and loosening adjustment is needed.
    Disassemble piston bearing per above procedure.
    Place sandpaper (~400 grade) on flat table top. Place bearing center washer on sandpaper.
    Slide washer side to side on sandpaper ~6” back and forth while moderately pressing washer on sandpaper. Perform sanding for 10 seconds
    Rotate washer 90 degrees and repeat sanding process.
    Flip washer to opposite side and repeat above sanding procedure; 10 seconds sanding, rotate 90 degrees, 10 seconds sanding.
    Clean washer (brake cleaner & towels).
    Reassemble piston bearing per above procedure and reassess bearing axial fit.
    Note: Washer is made from hardened steel and does not easily wear. Sanding procedure will remove ~.005mm washer height. Washer might need max .015mm height adjustment.

Bearing tightening adjustment.
    If splined shaft has any tilt movement then axial play is present and tightening adjustment is needed.
    Disassemble piston bearing per above procedure.
    Place sandpaper (~400 grade) on flat table top. Place bearing ring on sandpaper.
    Slide ring side to side on sandpaper ~6” back and forth while moderately pressing ring on sandpaper. Perform sanding for 10 seconds.
    Rotate ring 90 degrees and repeat sanding process.
    Flip ring to opposite side and repeat above sanding procedure; 10 seconds sanding, rotate 90 degrees, 10 seconds sanding.
    Clean ring (brake cleaner & towels).
    Reassemble piston bearing per above procedure and reassess bearing axial fit.
    Note: Ring is made from hardened steel and does not easily wear. Sanding procedure will remove ~.005mm ring height. Ring might need max .015mm height adjustment.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12