Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wheel/alignment issues

Also posted on bmwmafia

Bought my 325i with 120k miles on it. On the test drive, I noticed a very small vibration at certain speeds. It got worse at 130k, and so I started investigating. My first step was to re balance my wheels. As I was doing this, I noticed that one of my rims was bent. Bought a new set of rims, same problem. Thought it was the tires, so I bought and installed new winter tires on the bent rims, and put the other tires on the new rims. The winter tires solved the problem with the vibration, so I ruled out the bent rims as the problem. Summer rolls back around, and when I pulled off the winter wheels, I noticed that the outsides are chopped a little bit, but dont pay too much attention to it.

Ever since I put the summer wheels back on, the noise/vibration has slowly gotten worse. Well, today I pulled the wheels off and noticed that they are chopping pretty bad, also. Assuming that my alignment is the cause, I pull out the ruler and measure it myself. From my rudimentary alignment measuring skills, I ascertained that my front wheels toe in about 1/8", and my back wheels toe out about the same amount.

Is this normal? Can I fix this on my own? Is 1/8" enough to chop my tires?

Front inside

Rear inside

I would just start with an alignment...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I would just start with an alignment...
    +1

Then start with suspension components. Were the CABs ever replaced?

Your tires are cupped, you need to replace them (no fixing that), and get an alignment to correct your problem. That will cause a vibration, and usually alot of noise too as it gets worse. Your measurements are bad also, you should be slight toe-in in the rear, and zero or slight toe-out in the front. I am not sure what the actual specs are for your specific car, but this is pretty much normal for all cars. I just aligned my Zhp (and mounted new tires) a month ago due to improper tire wear from the previous owner. The car drives and handles much better now. As others have said, check your bushings and ball joints ect also, and replace as needed.

If you where closer I could throw that on the alignment rack for you. Good luck with it.

While searching for an answer to my cupping tires (noisy as a booger wooger at 17-35 mph) I arrived here (where my friends live).

Car has 76k miles, all original stuff except for HD Meyle CABs and a replaced control arm about 1 year ago.

Alignment you say? Do you guys recommend a dealer for this job? Approximate price?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

What caused the cupping? Tires? Suspension?

Read the bottom of my initial post.......below.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ve-maintenance
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

All suspension pieces are stock. There is no pull left or right. Very little vibration at 70-80 mph (nothing big).
    There has never been an accident or hit of the curb.
    The tires have 16K miles on them and they are cupping similarly to OP's pics (inside of each tire - yes I rotated them about 8K miles ago).
    There is no noise when I go over bumps or potholes.
    I do not "think" anything is wrong with suspension components but what do I know?
    I was thinking the car needs an alignment. I could be wrong and value everyone's input on that.
    Dealer quoted 4 wheel alignment at 150$.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Did you mention what tires? Cheap tires will do this....or are a cause. That's why I just got new ones....

My alignment was $152.....including tax.

Also, if parts of your suspension are a starting to wear (FCABs, Tie Rods, Ball Joints) it can cause play in the steering, which in turn will cause the vibration you are talking about. I had a worn tie rod on the front of my car and had to replace it because it was causing issues. I would check these before you do the alignment, because if you have to replace the tie rods/ball joints you'll have to get an alignment right after.

Most places you take your car for an alignment will be able to check the tie rods and ball joints for you. But, if you want to do it yourself:
    1) Take the wheel off
    2) Hold the rotor with both hands at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.
    3) Push/Pull on each side, if there is ANY play at all, you have worn tie rods
    4) Repeat the same process with your hands at 12 and 6, if any play, your ball joints are to blame.

Hope this helps!
    Kyle - Wisconsin Crew - 2001 BMW M3
    Supersprint Headers/Section 2 - Eisenmann Muffler - aFe Stage 2 Intake -
    Bilstien PSS9 Coilovers - VMR V710 (Gunmetal Powdercoat) - UUC EVO Short Shifter - ZHP Shift Knob

Thanks dudes. Tires are Hankook Ventus HR II (came new with the car about 2 years ago - they probably are cheap).

I am completely unfamiliar with the anatomy and the names of suspension parts, but I have no play at all when I do the test Kyle mentions (know that from doing the brakes not that long ago).

Also as you could guess, my new winter tires do not make this thumpthumpthump noise.

Align?

I am very hopeful that the dealer will inspect every element of the suspension before aligning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast